Thursday, March 22, 2012

Combine Two Passions - Books and Baking!

 SOLSC  #22 - Slice of Life is sponsored every Tuesday by Stacey and Ruth from Two Writing Teachers.  For the month of March, I've joined the challenge to post a slice of life daily.

"What?  Are we turning into a cooking club?"  That was the first comment from the members of my Battle of the Books Club on Tuesday afternoon when I told them we would be making Rocky Road S'More Bars.  Actually I have a fellow blogger to blame for this detour taken by our book club.  She blogged about an evening walk with her dog and discovering that someone was making s'mores. The post and picture lingered to prompt this internal argument (somewhat similar to the fortunately/unfortunately posts I've been reading lately).

Wow!  S'mores!  It's been a long time since I've eaten s'mores.  No campfires in my near future though, and microwave s'mores just aren't the same. 
But . . . I do have that s'more bar recipe that I sometimes make during the holidays. 
However . . . I am trying to lose some weight before my son's wedding in June.
But . . . If I share it with someone else, I won't eat as many.
However . . . We don't have any upcoming PD (people in meetings like my treats).
But . . . You could bake them to share with the lunch bunch.
However . . . There was that buzz in the news about people making co-workers fat.
But . . . You do have Battle of the Books Club on Tuesday.
And . . . You could involve the students in the baking!

Justification for baking.  Somehow, I can always find it.  I brought the ingredients, and we assembled the bars in my classroom.  And, high point of the event, the students accompanied me to the teacher's lounge to put them in the oven.  Fifteen minutes later, we carried a pan of hot, gooey goodness to the classroom.  They didn't really have time to cool, so we had to eat them with a spoon.  And one of the students came up with a new name for the bars - S'Mores Galore!

Fortunately, they're all gone!

8 comments:

  1. Yum! Wanna share the recipe? :)
    Ruth

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sure!

    S'Mores Galore or Rocky Road S'Mores Bars

    1/2 cup butter
    1/2 cup brown sugar
    1 cup Gold Medal flour (recipe clipped from GM flour package)
    1/2 cup graham cracker crumbs
    2 cups miniature marshmallows
    1 cup chocolate chips
    1/2 cup chopped walnuts
    Beat butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add combined flour and graham cracker crumbs; mix well. Press onto bottom of greased 9-inch square pan. Sprinkle with remaining ingredients. Bake at 375 degree oven for 15-20 minutes or until golden brown. Cool: cut into bars.
    (Or if you can't wait, scoop with a spoon! Bars are best eaten while still warm. Marshmallows tend to harden as bars cool.)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love it when you win those internal battles!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh Ramona, you are an evil lady! Those look so good, glad Ruth asked for the recipe. I love s'mores but no one else around me does. I am revisiting your thinking above and making it work for me. Now where would I take them?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love it when YOU win those internal arguments!!! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Now you've got me craving s'mores! Good thing I get to come home to visit later this week! Can't wait to see you tonight!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I see these bars in my near future! Thank you

    ReplyDelete
  8. These look heavenly...and I loved the conversation back and forth with yourself.

    ReplyDelete