I returned from a spring break trip to Oklahoma last Wednesday evening. I was determined to preserve my "break" mentality until the weekend when I would do some grading and planning for school.
So while I had a few errands to accomplish on Friday, I also wanted to squeeze in some favorite activities to make it a Fun Friday! Here's a quick recap of my Fun Friday book adventures:
- Stop at University Bookstore to turn in student entries for the yearly bookmark contest.
- Peruse the 90% off clearance table where I purchase five books for $3.28!
- Pick up a 50% off copy of The Tree That Time Built, perfect for lovers of poetry and nature, with a CD with readings of 44 poems, including 18 poets reading their own work.
- Stop by the public library to pick up poetry books that I had requested for poetry month.
- Raid the library shelves for more poetry books and fill my red bin to overflowing.
- Stop at Island Books to purchase Caroline Kennedy's gorgeous new anthology, Poems to Learn by Heart. Chat with the owner, Roger Page, while we point out poems to each other and exclaim over the wonderful array of poems in this new anthology.
I carried two warm monster cookies and a glass of cold milk to set on the side table. I settled into my favorite chair and escaped into The House at Tyneford. I was jarred out of this delicious escape by the ringing of the telephone. It was my husband who was headed home early and needed a pickup from the park and ride. I glanced down at the plate to see one-half of a cookie and thought, "Oh well, I can certainly finish this warm cookie before I leave to pick him up." My fatal mistake was picking up the book as I picked up the cookie. When I turned the final page of the book, I stretched out in my cozy chair with the luxurious sigh of a contented reader. . . And that's when I remembered my husband at the park & ride! I had no idea how long he had been waiting for me or how long it had taken me to finish the book. I had been lost in a book, and there's no finer way to top off a Fun Friday!