Wednesday, January 21, 2015

Spiritual Journey Thursday - Fly

The bloggers at Spiritual Journey Thursday are writing about the spiritual focus of the community's One Little Words. 
This week, we are writing about 
Michelle Haseletine's
One Little Word:  FLY.

I've been trying to connect Michelle's word with my spiritual journey and I keep coming back to this favorite scripture in Isaiah 40:31:
"But they that wait upon the Lord 
shall renew their strength; 
they shall mount up with wings as eagles; 
they shall run, and not be weary; 
and they shall walk and not faint."

The question becomes, "How do I wait upon the Lord?" so that I can access these promised blessings:  renew my strength, mount up with wings as eagles (fly!), run and not be weary, and walk and not faint.  In Hebrew, wait means to hope for, to anticipate.  Waiting for the Lord implies that I anticipate and hope for Him, that I cherish time spent in prayer and pondering His word, that it becomes more than a task to be checked off my daily "to do" list, but the time that enriches all the other moments in my day.  I want to wait and hope for the Lord like a child waits for Christmas morning, with gleeful anticipation.  For another interpretation of the word "wait" in this scripture, you might want to explore this article which focuses on the strength that is received as we wait on the Lord and are thus enabled to mount up with wings as eagles and FLY!   

3 comments:

  1. Ramona - I really enjoyed reading and thinking about "wait" in the context of this beautiful scripture. The article link was wonderful, too. When he rewrote the eagle scripture with the understandings of the word "wait," it really hit home. I have Psalm 5:3 on my bathroom mirror, and connected it to this post: "In the morning, LORD, you hear my voice; in the morning I lay my requests before you and wait expectantly." Waiting is not passive - it is an act of great faith, and we can only truly expect answered prayers when we are intertwined with God, receiving His strength and promises. We are completely weak and Earth-bound when we are too impatient or busy to wait. Thank you for this post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. ahh...to be more than more than a task to be checked off my daily "to do" list. That is something I am working very hard on. I commented on Margaret's post that my bird would be one that swoops because that seems to be how I would describe my spiritual life. I also pulled several things to think about from the article you linked. Thanks for sharing that.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the reference to the scripture about waiting on the Lord and flying as eagles. Thanks for sharing your beautiful inspiration. :)

    ReplyDelete