Tuesday, January 5, 2016

Slice of Life: Mock Newbery Results

Today I join my fellow bloggers in "serving up a slice" 
to the Tuesday Slice of Life (SOL) community.
Thanks to Stacey, Tara, Betsy, Dana, BethAnna, Kathleen, and Deb
                    for hosting this meeting place each Tuesday and nurturing our writing lives.

Oh, how I love Tuesday afternoons!  It's the day when I meet with other avid readers for Books, Brownies, & Beyond, our  after school book club.  Today, with the help of Carrie Bowman, we evaluated the five titles we read as part of the YCTNN (You Choose the Next Newbery) at KCLS (King County Library System).

The KCLS titles we read (in alphabetical order):
Circus Mirandus by Cassie Beasley
Echo by Pam Munoz Ryan
Listen, Slowly by Thanhha Lai
The Thing about Jellyfish by Ali Benjamin
The War that Saved my Life by Kimberly Brubaker Bradley

Voting Results for KCLS titles:
1st Place:     The War that Saved my Life by Kimberly Brubaker Bradley
2nd Place:   A tie between Echo by Pam Munoz Ryan and 
                     The Thing about Jellyfish by Ali Benjamin
3rd Place:   Listen, Slowly by Thanhha Lai

Three additional titles I added to our Mock Newbery reading list:
Goodbye Stranger by Rebecca Stead
The Seventh Most Important Thing by Shelly Pearsall
Stella by Starlight by Sharon M. Draper

Voting results for all eight titles read by Books Brownies & Beyond:
1st Place:     The War that Saved My Life by Kimberly Brubaker Bradley
2nd Place:   Echo by Pam Munoz Ryan and 
3rd Place:    Stella by Starlight by Sharon M. Draper
                     (Very close race - Listen, Slowly by Thanhha Lai was just one vote less
                     and The Thing about Jellyfish by Ali Benjamin was just two votes less)

If you've been involved in a Mock Newbery this year, I'd love to hear your results.

Currently, we are anticipating the announcement of the Newbery winner and other awards on Monday, January 11th at the ALA (American Library Association) Youth Media Awards.  I'll be part of the pajama party since it begins at 8 am in Boston (5 am on the west coast).   I love listening to the live webcast.  If you'd like to join me, here's the link.  I won't be posting any pajama pics on Twitter, but I will be watching and listening!  

We'll watch the webcast on Tuesday afternoon at book club.  Fingers crossed that some of our titles will win Newbery, Newbery Honor, or another book award!  

4 comments:

  1. I did terrible reading the 2015 books this year. That said, I am listening to The Thing About Jellyfish. I'll look at the rest as well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I still haven't read Listen Slowly, but know all the others. Do you think the n-f ones might have a chance? And, do you know this blog: http://blogs.slj.com/heavymedal/ Lots of reporting there. Thanks for the link, I didn't know it started so early! What do I pick? I did love The War That Changed My Life, and The Thing About Jellyfish, yet I also believe The Hired Girl is a good contender (but for older). Guess we'll all be surprised no matter what! Happy Reading!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I feel like I have read a ton this year, but I have not read very many of these. Not sure how that happened? Guess I will have some catching up to do afte next Monday!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a fun way to bring reading excitement to the lives of these young people! These are great titles and I'm excited that I have read most of them this past year. These kiddos made some great choices!

    ReplyDelete