Saturday, January 28, 2017

Celebrate This Week: Movies and Plays and Books, Oh My!

                             Join us each weekend for Celebrate This Week with Ruth Ayres. 
                                                      When we pause to celebrate, we find the joy.
Discover. Play. Build. 
A week filled with moments to celebrate and remember! 

A movie, a play, a movie, and a play.  It's been an indulgent week.   Monday night we met Sara and Will at the theater to see "Hidden Figures."  Wednesday afternoon I went to the Rep with a friend to see "Woody Sez."   Friday afternoon we went to the movies again.  This time to see "Fences."  And today we have tickets for the matinee of "The King and I" at the Paramount.  If you haven't seen Hidden Figures yet, go!  Woody Sez, about the life and music of Woody Guthrie was delightful (especially for this homegrown Oklahoma girl).   "Fences" was thought provoking and intense.  We saw the play years ago in Houston.  And today, after "The King and I," I'll be humming those familiar tunes.  All in all, it's been a great way to spend the week.  Can you tell I'm avoiding the real world for now?  

We belong to a film club and tonight our friend Bobbi will be doing her Year in Review discussing favorite films of 2016.  That's why we were "forced" to fit in two movies this week that we'd been meaning to see.  

I also celebrate our Three Musketeers occasional book club.  When two good friends moved away, we set up a google chat book club.  It's always a challenge to get the three of us together, but what a delight to catch up with these two dear friends over a book.  This week Coleen was in town for her annual ski trip with some other friends, so she came by my place and we connected with Renae for our discussion of What Alice Forgot by Lian Moriarty.  Next up is The Secret Keeper by Kate Morton.  (I was a bit sneaky suggesting this title since it's what I'm reading for my other book club.)  

And as always, I celebrate our friend, Ruth, and this community of friends who come together weekly to look for and celebrate the good in our lives.  

9 comments:

  1. Some weeks just call for self-indulgence! I just received the young readers edition of Hidden Figures. I have a student who is advanced in math and loves nonfiction, so I will hand it off to her...after I read it first! :) Have a great weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love this idea of a Google book club what a great way to stay connected with friends. Thanks for the movie recommendations we have seen any of them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I loved Hidden Figures! Yesterday I shared a video of Katherine Johnson from flocabulary.com with two sixth grade classes. (It is free for Black History Month) I hope to find a book club- I've read both of those books.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ramona, my husband and I have been talking about going to the movies this month but having acute sinusitis has put a damper on going out. Today, is my big outing. It's Restaurant Week on Long Island so we are dining out with friends at a favorite restaurant. Thanks for the update

    ReplyDelete
  5. Now that is a week to celebrate! I love going to the movies, but there's something about seeing a live performance that's just so exciting!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've heard nothing but good things about Hidden Figures -- a must see. How fun to be "forced" to see movies.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Books and plays and movies- this is like a dream week. I am happy for you.

    ReplyDelete
  8. "A movie, a play, a movie, and a play. It's been an indulgent week." You had me hooked, Ramona. :) I'm reading Hidden Figures. Gotta read it before I see it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Something about this last half of winter puts me in the mood for movies, too. Getting lost in the world of a story is always a great retreat from reality--and somehow it usually winds up being great preparation to face reality, too!

    ReplyDelete