Saturday, April 8, 2017

Celebrate This Week & NPM Day 8!

 Join us each weekend for Celebrate This Week with Ruth Ayres.
When we pause to celebrate, we find the joy.
Discover. Play. Build. 
   A week filled with moments to celebrate and remember

  • My theme for NPM 2017 found me!  I went in search of a praise poem to feature last Sunday and I discovered "A List of Praises" by Anne Porter and the poetic term anaphora.  Suddenly, I knew that I'd be strolling through the poetic playground, letter by letter, for the rest of the month. 
  •  Blue skies and blossoms! 
  • Grandson pics 
 Teddy is ready for baseball season!
Jack's charming smile at 9 weeks!

NPM Day 8
My book spine poem for NPM 2017:

She walks in beauty
A jar of tiny stars
Awakening the heart
Open the door
House of light 
Pass the poetry, please!

This alphabetic poetic stroll is getting more difficult by the day because as the month continues, I'm finding more poems and more books for each letter.  And then I have to make decisions and whittle my options down.  And I'm not a decision maker.  

But today I forced myself to focus on just one poet  - Kristine O'Connell George (my apologies to other "G" poets that I left on the shelf).  Today I'm sharing a favorite book, a favorite link on Kristine's blog, and a delightful interview with the poet:
  • Toasting Marshmallows:  Camping Poems belongs in the home or knapsack of every camping family.  I love it and I'm not even a camper  (although my kids promise they'll take me camping with them one of these days).   I purchased this book at Powell's Books in 2002 on a mid-winter break trip to Portland with my kids.  How do I know all those details?  Because I wrote them on the title page!   When you get your copy, check out my favorite poems - "The Best Paths," "Toasting Marshmallows," and "Flannel."   I also love her book The Great Frog Race and Other Poems.
  • An interview with Kristine O'Connell George at The Miss Rumphius Effect   Don't miss the poet's response to this question - "Can you describe your poetry writing process?"  And one of my favorite poems, "Polliwogs" from The Great Frog Race and Other Poems is cited in the interview. 

6 comments:

  1. I love the baseball picture. It's always fun as we share our passion for baseball with younger generations.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We are going to have a treasure trove of resources by the end of the month- glad you chose to embark on this alphabet journey.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks, Ramona. This camping/poetry book is new to me. How have I missed it! And those grand babies. Love seeing them. When babies begin to smile, it's so wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my goodness! Soooooooooooooooooo cute!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love that you recorded how you came to find your poetry book in 2002! Such a great idea!! And your grandboys are adorable too!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you so much! For the links and for the adorable pictures!

    ReplyDelete