Sunday, April 9, 2017

NPM 2017 Day 9: H - Day 1

My book spine poem for NPM 2017:

She walks in beauty
A jar of tiny stars
Awakening the heart
Open the door
House of light 
Pass the poetry, please!


I have so many things to share that begin with the letter "H" that I'm spending two days on this letter.  Today I'll share a poem, a  poem inspired by a poem, and a book.  
  • "Hope does indeed have feathers" by Amy Ludwig VanDerwater - Scroll down the blog post and you'll find Amy's poem in the blue box and these words of explanation about how Emily's poem inspired Amy's poem, "When you read my poem, you will notice that many of the words are the same words that Emily used, but I have used them in different places and ways.  You will also notice that the rhyme scheme and meter of my poem matches Emily's.  Her poem helped me write today, in more ways than I feel able to explain."
  • House of Light by Mary Oliver  - This book was a birthday gift from a friend.  If you own the book (or check it out from the library), be sure to read a favorite poem on p. 36, "The Gift."  

3 comments:

  1. I have other Mary Oliver books, but not House of Light. Will see if I can find it at my library. I remember Amy's poem, lovely in that organization that Amy supports. Thanks, Ramona. Have a wonderful day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't know why I am just now popping in to see your NPM project, but I read all your posts. So many great resources and books. I remember how touched I was by Amy's Hope is the Thing with Feathers poem. I've written a version as well. It's in my verse novel in progress.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ramona. I have been slow at getting around...and I thank you for sharing my poem here. And too, Mary Oliver's HOUSE OF LIGHT. I am off to order it for my Georgia for Easter, upon your recommendation. She loves MO too! xx

    ReplyDelete