Sunday, May 28, 2017

Celebrate This Week

 Join us each weekend for Celebrate This Week with Ruth Ayres.

When we pause to celebrate, we find the joy.
Discover. Play. Build. 

   A week filled with moments to celebrate and remember.

Last night, I chose to read rather than write my Celebrate post.  And then I woke up too early at 3 am and decided to write my post, but opened my email first.  That's when I discovered the poem, "Bookstall" by Linda Pastan at Writer's Almanac:

"Just looking at them
I grow greedy, as if they were
freshly baked loaves
waiting on their shelves
to be broken open—"

You can read the rest of the poem here.

                            Books I'm celebrating this week:         
 I'm currently reading my grandmother asked me to tell you she's sorry by Fredrik Backman.  I'll be finishing it today to discuss with two good friends tomorrow via google chat.  I was listening to a Books Between podcast this past week that mentioned the book Georgia Rules by Nancy Turner Stevenson.  And when I set out ARCs for book club members at Books, Brownies, & Beyond, I discovered it in the pile. I'm adding it to my very tall pile of middle grade books that I want to read.  And Goodnight Harry is a book by Kim Lewis that I picked up at one of our library book sales.  I read it to Jack last night for the first time.  And  the best part of our read aloud time (because he was sitting in the high chair) was the way he would turn to look at me and smile.  

Last week I mentioned our run of sunny days to come.  It's been a glorious week and weekend!   Clouds and rain
are not slated to return until Tuesday.
 Jack's response to the sunshine!
 I reveled in the brilliant blue sky and lush green
that greeted us on our walks.  
 Jack with good friend Shelly and his mom 
before we entered the Pacific Science Center
yesterday to see the Terracotta Warriors exhibit.  
We topped off our fun with family and friends
with a stop for dim sum!
Grandson Teddy's latest week by week pic.
I love that waving hand!
Image may contain: 1 person
Here's a FB post from my brother Karl:  
"In honor of my Dad, I post this picture of him surrounded by the medals he earned for his service in World War II. Dad was a prisoner of war in Germany for about 4 months. My sisters and I are so proud of him and his service. We all wish he was still with us so we could hug his neck. Be sure and remember the real reason why we celebrate Memorial Day!"

4 comments:

  1. What a sweet surprise when you found the poem, Ramona, and what a grand and sunny time you've had. Enjoy the rest of the weekend, too. My book group read "My Grandmother. . ." a couple of months ago. What a story that evolves and evolves into goodness. Thanks for the other titles too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for Linda Pastan's poem. Here words resonate with me -- "Just looking at them / I grow greedy, ..." Thank you for sharing your brother's post and reminding us for "the real reason why we celebrate Memorial Day!" Happy Memorial Day, Ramona!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely post full of celebrations. I so enjoy your pictures of your growing grandson. What joy! Love that sunshine!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love those little toes in the bright sunshine.

    I am thankful for the reminders of why we have Memorial Day.

    ReplyDelete