Friday, February 2, 2018

Poetry Friday: Passing the Laurel Wreath

Head over to Donna's blog, Mainely Write
for this week's round-up of poetic goodness. 
She's sharing beautiful poetry postcards. 
Thanks, Donna, for hosting this week!

I'm sad to realize that it's been awhile since I participated in Poetry Friday. Yesterday while I was out running errands, I heard a teaser about an upcoming interview on our public radio station, KUOW. I listened carefully and dashed into the house to find the radio station on my computer. I didn't want to miss this interview with Tod Marshall, our outgoing state poet laureate and our incoming poet laureate, Claudia Castro Luna.  Claudia was Seattle's first civic poet. When I saw her on NPR's NewsHour last fall sharing her project to connect poetry and place, I was inspired to write a Poetry Friday post with a link to her interview.

Our outgoing poet laureate, Tod Marshall visited IMS in the spring of 2016.  I saw him briefly at Poetry Camp in the fall of 2016 which resulted in getting my copy of Words with Wings autographed by Nikki Grimes. I participated in a poetry reading at Island Books in September of 2017 with Tod and other local poets. 

I love listening to Tod speak about the power of words and so I settled in for this radio interview with him and Claudia at my upstairs desk. I didn't have my writer's notebook and no time to find it, so I had to make do with notes carefully written on eighteen yellow sticky notes (which I've now transferred to my writer's notebook). 

I hope you'll listen to the interview, "The words that hold our souls inside them" hosted by Bill Radke. It's seventeen minutes well spent. You don't have to be a resident of Washington state to appreciate the power of words and personal experience and memory and story shared by Tod and Laura in this phenomenal interview.

5 comments:

  1. Wow, sounds like an inspiring interview, look at all those notes!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Ramona. It's wonderful to hear all that you do to enjoy poetry!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lots of poetry goodness! I'm glad you made it in time to listen to the interview--love those sticky note notes!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for sharing this, Ramona. I love the title of the interview. Off to listen...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for sharing this, Ramona - I'm bookmarking the interview for later today, when I will need a grading break, and something soul nourishing to listen to.

    ReplyDelete