Saturday, May 17, 2014

Notes, Dinner Out, and A True Friend!

                                 So excited to join Saturday Celebrations with Ruth Ayres! 
                      It is fun to live my week thinking about what I will celebrate on Saturday.

Discover. Play. Build.
A week filled with moments to celebrate and remember!

Ruth's words "gritty celebration" are perfect.  Only other teacher friends truly understand the exhaustion that comes as we head for the finish line of a school year.  Our end is still five weeks away. and we head into a week of testing for sixth graders next week (our third week of crazy schedules for our school).  I'm thrilled that participating here helps me discover moments to celebrate every single week!   

1.  The best kind of appreciation ever, a handwritten note from a former student, appeared in my school mailbox this week.  What a joy to hear her gratitude for the year we spent together.  I celebrate her thoughtfulness!

2.  My husband gets it that on Friday nights I'm in no mood to cook dinner.  He's dieting, so ordering pizza was not an option.  He indulged me with dinner out.  Then when our dinner took forever to arrive, he understood my desire to put my head on the table and nap while we waited.  I didn't, but he understood.  And next week, I'll remember that a simple supper at home can be better than dinner out!

3.  I celebrate a true friend who understands when I pick up the phone, and shout "No," before even greeting her.  She calls me to leave the piles of work behind and take a walk.  She understands my crabby moods, listens to my tirades, and indulges me as I snap pictures on our infrequent (this time of year) walks.  This week I may have stepped over the line . . . she laughingly commented that I could be replaced!  

I'm so glad for this weekly call to celebration.  Have a fabulous weekend, dear friends!  

6 comments:

  1. The people in your life provide many reasons to celebrate. Celebrations surround you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Friday nights are hard!!! I'm glad that your hubbie understands :) And no pizza is hard! I keep taking end of the year one week at a time. It's so overwhelming otherwise! Have a great week.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Loving family and friends are the greatest arsenals to have to combat those gritty days.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The best thing about Friday night at our house is pizza! Your appreciation of handwritten notes is just what I needed to hear. I am writing notes to each one of my students instead leaving them electronically on their report cards. Now, I am glad I made that decision! Hope you have a great weekend too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. When I taught high school, I usually fell asleep by 7 pm on Friday nights! It certainly helps to have such a supportive spouse. How wonderful to receive a note from a former student. One of my favorite rituals at the high school where I taught was a retreat with the seniors where everyone had a "mailbox" and over the three days of the retreat, we all wrote notes of appreciation to each other. I treasure every note I received!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Friday nights my husband and I are both fried, so we order out most of the time. But a simple meal is also a good plan. This Friday, my daughter made fun of me when I had my PJs on at 7 PM.

    ReplyDelete