Friday, October 5, 2018

Poetry Friday: Poems in the pages of Hello!

Tabatha Yeatts at The Opposite of Indifference
is hosting this week's round-up of poetic goodness. 
She shared "Ginkgo Bilboa"
by Johann Wolfgang Goethe, written for his friend Marianne.
I love the gingko leaves at the bottom of the poem.
  

Grandson Jack and I love watching for the arrival of his Highlights Hello magazine. This month's issue about shapes is perfect.
He's currently obsessed with circles, squares, rectangles, and triangles. I was thrilled to discover a poem by Heidi Bee Roemer "Let's Make a Snowman" (to the tune of "Row, Row, Row Your Boat").  I find myself checking the authors and illustrators in each issue as I look for names I recognize from the world of children's poetry.


Let's Make a Snowman
by Heidi Bee Roemer
Art by Julissa Mora
(To the tune of "Row, Row, Row Your Boat)

Roll, roll, roll the snow
Watch the snowballs grow.
Stack three high,
Add nose and eyes-
Your snowman says, "Hello."


(Jack thinks an emptied drawer in Grandma's kitchen makes a perfect reading stand.)

8 comments:

  1. So long ago, I had a kitchen drawer for the youngest ones. Love the picture & how great to find Heidi's poem in your "Hello", Ramona.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My daughter used the kitchen drawer to climb. Love the fun poem and the little reader.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, that's aDORable! Great poem for a little one.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cute poem - and sweet little reader!! (Stand and all. :) )

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your grandson is so cute! Very catchy poem (easy to remember!).

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for reminding me that I need to send a subscription to my niece and nephew!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a fun poem! Now I'm ready for some snow!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Jack's invention reminds me of the new computer work tables that go up and down. I love watching him read. I want to give Sierra a magazine subscription for Christmas.

    ReplyDelete