Tuesday, July 23, 2019

Slice of Life: Book Sharing!

One of my favorite things to do is share books. Ever since I retired in 2014, I've led a book club for middle school students. It  has changed a bit over the years. 

We meet less frequently now and our meetings occur at lunch, instead of after school. We begin each year with a focus on reading and discussing Newbery possibilities and March Book Madness titles. Our focus for other months includes African American History Month and Poetry Month. During the summer our club morphs from Books, Brownies, and Beyond (a middle school book club) into a Tween Book Club. We welcome 4th and 5th graders to our meetings at the public library (and one this summer at Island Books, our independent book store). 

One of the things I've created this summer is a Tween Book Club padlet for collecting blog posts, book lists, what we're reading this summer lists, summer reading challenges, and other book related links. I like the visual nature of Padlet and the ability to organize the links and things I want to share. How do you stay in touch with readers over the summer? What are you favorite middle grade book resources?
It’s Slice of Life Tuesday! 

Click over to Two Writing Teachers to read more slices!

5 comments:

  1. I so admire this work you're doing in retirement AND the versatility of the club (sign me up for poetry, especially!). I especially appreciate how it welcomes younger readers. The padlet does organize things so efficiently - yours for the Tween club is so inviting. I am a big fan of anything that's "at-a-glance."

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is WONDERFUL work!I can't wait to share this with MY tweens. THANK YOU SO MUCH

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is so inspiring! I would love the poetry one too.

    To echo what Fran says, I love that you are doing such important work even in retirement! Bravo

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love that you still stay connected with readers and helping middle schoolers - I bet this brings joy to both parts of this project. Your padlet sounds like a fabulous resource!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Just got around to a visit to your pallet. It’s a great way to keep resources handy. I loved your list of 100 and found many to read or reread!

    ReplyDelete