Tuesday, April 9, 2024

Slice of Life: Three Things Tuesday

1. Quite a few years ago, I told my BFF that I wanted to make it to 80 years old. (Since my parents died at 68 and 69, that seemed like an achievable goal.) She replied, "Yes, and I'll bring my 40 year old son along to sing Happy Birthday." She also said something about us being in the nursing home, but I prefer to forget that bit. 

2. After I moved to North Carolina last year, I started using a tin for chocolate chips that commemorated the 75th anniversary of the chocolate chip cookie. It turns out they were first created in the late 1930's by Ruth Wakefield, owner of the Toll House restaurant in Wakefield, MA. The recipe first appeared in her cookbook, Tried and True, in 1938. Wakefield sold the rights to use her recipe and the Toll House name to Nestle in 1939. My tin dates the 75th anniversary of the chocolate chip cookie to 2014 (probably because it was made by Nestle). I've recently revised "I want to live until I'm 80," to "I want to see the 100th anniversary of the chocolate chip cookie in 2039!"

3. And just yesterday, I revised that date once again! My husband was in Oregon for the 2017 total eclipse of the sun. At the time, I planned to experience the 2024 eclipse somewhere in the path of totality, but life got busy and I moved to North Carolina and forgot to plan a trip so I could experience the totality of a solar eclipse. So now I want to live until 2045, the next time a solar eclipse will travel across significant portions of the continental United States.

9 comments:

  1. I so enjoyed reading your post. Thanks for the insight about the Chocolate Chip and its creator. I know the feeling of having this desire to live so long, etc. I've currently outlived my siblings who all passed before their mid-sixties. I hope we will both be alive in 2045 to see the next eclipse!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great fun! I love the chocolate chip story. I use to think I wanted to live to see my Grandson in college or at least out of high school but that is to short a time. So I also need to revise my thinking. I like the eclipse idea! - Yikes that gets me in my 90's. Well, I have an Aunt who made it to 102 so maybe I can make it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I’ve had family members live to 100 (or very close) but I’ve also lost far too many way too young. If I make it to that eclipse I’ll be in my 90s so I should just aim for 100. 🙂

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like your revision moves in this slice!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm appreciating this structure (and how your 3 things connect). Definitely plan to add this to my list of ideas :) My husband is approaching the age of his mom when she died, and I can see how this milestone is important to talk through. And I'm feeling the blessing of my parents being 81 and 79, and still kicking my butt in Scrabble and Wordle and leading the family dance party when Huey Lewis's "Heart of Rock & Roll" comes on Alexa - keep aiming for those big numbers!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. These are wonderful goals, Ramona! We were entrenched with our three-year-old granddaughter yesterday; it was not the best time to take in the eclipse. I found myself counting on my fingers how old I'll be in 20 years - and yes, I've set that goal, lol. I love the idea of being around for the 100th anniversary of the chocolate chip cookies. (Thanks btw for telling me that I didn't have my comments 'open' on my blog - not sure why they were turned off, but I fixed that.) Thanks for this post!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love this, changing plans to accommodate wishes. How about traveling for the next total solar eclipse in August 2026? ;)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great goal. I am not sure an eclipse is a big enough goal for me, but I like goals. I would be honored to be part of the 100th anniversary of the chocolate chip. It would be a huge party with LOTS of cookies!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Of course, I wish you a long, healthy life, Ramona. My friends here are laughing these days because we talk about ailments that each of us may have or the husbands have. I remember being a much younger lady laughing about seniors whose conversations revolve around aches and pains. Life Goes On...

    ReplyDelete