Saturday, February 7, 2015

Celebrate This Week

 Join us each weekend for Celebrate this week with Ruth Ayres.  
 When we pause to celebrate, we find the joy.
Discover. Play. Build.
  A week filled with moments to celebrate and remember!

  1.  Week 1 of Kitchen Remodel! 
My husband and I never dreamed that they would completely demolish our old kitchen in one day.  He compared it to yanking a bandaid off quickly.  We were shell shocked at the end of day one.  I consoled myself with a Goodbye Kitchen post.  Four days later and I have pull-out drawers in the lower cabinets and new appliances delivered and waiting in the garage for installation.  


2.  Mid-winter break in one week! 
Why does a retired teacher keep track of school breaks?  When she takes a six week part-time sub position just as the new year begins and the kitchen remodel project is on the horizon.  Crazy move, but I couldn't resist the chance to play librarian for a few weeks.  Next week I'm doing my first book talks as librarian on my last day, the day before mid-winter break.  We're almost ready for the school wide spelling bee:  class rounds completed and library qualifying rounds finished.  I'm encouraging everyone to wear yellow and black the day of the spelling bee!

3.  Lonely Books Corner! 
One of our assignments during my six weeks in the library was to weed the fiction books.  It's a tough job.  I started noticing books that either had never been checked out or checked out only once.  I wanted to pitch them to students as "books that need some love," perfect for February.  We still have a book awards display, robots from the art classes, and yesterday added a February display (red books, books with heart, kiss, love etc, in the title, any books pitched as heartwarming or focused on family, friendships, relationships), so there's not any space for my books that need some love.  So I'll make a poster and place them on a cart.  Hopefully some of my lonely books will get some love.

5 comments:

  1. I'm smiling at your remodeling...we did that ONCE! It is an amazing transformation but it takes a LONG time by yourself! I also love that you can return to school - and do what we love - for short bits - even after you retire. I intend to do just that!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kitchen is moving along quickly, that's a great celebration! What fun to be in the library for a period of time. Life is good!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the idea of "books that need more love" giveaways for February! I love your kitchen remodel, too. That looks like a really great island. Have a great week!

    Jennifer

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think in my "next" life I would love to be a librarian. When I started teaching, the schools where I taught didn't have libraries, so I didn't even realize for a long time that it was a job to have. I'm glad you had this chance & took it Ramona-sounds wonderful. And your kitchen is going to be awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wahoo for progress on your kitchen! I Hope you love it when it is done!

    ReplyDelete