Friday, February 5, 2016

Poetry Friday: 100 Quickwrites by Linda Reif


 for this week's roundup of poetry love.
Thanks for hosting,Tricia!

Selecting a  favorite for my bag
Hoping for time to share
I'm off to a Friday in 6th grade land
But first I need some more sleep!

This is what happens when you face insomnia at 3 am.  I wander over to my bookcase of professional books and pull an old favorite off the shelf.  I'll be substituting in a team teaching situation today, so I don't know if I can squeeze in a poem for Poetry Friday.  But fingers crossed, I'm ready with a personal favorite, Linda Reif's 100 Quickwrites!  I flip the book open to "February Air" (p. 88), then notice "Charlotte's Web" (p. 92), or maybe I can use "Seabrook Nuclear Power Plant To Whom It May Concern" (p. 96) which would tie in with their social justice unit.  If you've never explored Linda Reif's delightful book of quick writes, head to your favorite indie bookstore and  treat yourself and your students to this book (recommended for grades 5 and up)!

6 comments:


  1. This sounds like a wonderful resource. Sorry you couldn't sleep.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is a marvelous book, Ramona, and I have shared it with so many of my colleagues & of course used the pieces with my students. Thanks for reminding me, I will pull it out & look for your poems. Hugs to you for getting up in the middle of the night.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, I love that book - so many great ideas!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That sounds like a book I need to own! Hope your day went well!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Not sure how I missed this book! Thank you for sharing it, Ramona. Hope your day in 6th grade went well!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Aww, I hope that your sleeping patterns are better now. I will be sure to look up the Linda Reif book.

    ReplyDelete