Friday, October 6, 2017

Poetry Friday: Mapping Seattle Poem by Poem

Head over to Violet's blog, 
Violet Nesdoly/poemsfor her Pumpkin Edition, 
and this week's round-up of poetic goodness.  
Thanks, Violet, for hosting this week!

I've waited all week to share a segment that I saw last week on the NPR NewsHour.  It's a creation of Seattle's first civic poet, Claudia Castro Luna.  You can watch the segment that explains her project to connect poetry and place here.  You can look at the Poetic Grid of Seattle which links poems with specific places in the city.  Here's Claudia's poem which is read by her in the segment.  

A Corner to Love

Maps of this city
number in the thousands
each unique and folded
neatly inside each citizen’s
heart. We live in the city
and the city lives in us.

-Claudia Castro Luna

Think of the possibilities for a project like this linked to the places where we live!

7 comments:

  1. What a cool project! Poetry and place go so well together.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! I finally have the girls in bed and am trying to read a few posts. This is an awesome project, Ramona. I clicked on a few poems, and no wonder you love it. One could read all day, and into the night! Sarah & Dave are in Seattle now, taking their anniversary weekend to a favorite city! Have fun reading about all the places you know, and discovering others!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great project, Ramona. I am so glad that you shared it with us. "We live in the city and the city lives in us." That line reminds me of what it is like to visit NYC. While I do not go there regularly, when I do the city lives inside my heart.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This post goes so well with Kat Apel's! Art/poetry throughout cities everywhere! We could aspire to this!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ooh I like this challenge, Ramona! (It would give me the perfect excuse to check out Vancouver neighbourhoods.) I will be looking more closely at Claudia's project. Thanks for the heads up on this.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for telling us about this, Ramona! Such a neat idea. You could do a poem map for a school, too.

    ReplyDelete