Tuesday, December 5, 2017

Slice of Life: The Fruits of our Labors!

Today I join my fellow bloggers in "serving up a slice" 
to the Tuesday Slice of Life (SOL) community.
Thanks to Stacey, Betsy, Beth, Kathleen, Deb, Melanie, and Lanny
 for hosting this meeting place each Tuesday and nurturing our writing lives.

This past week was our winter book sale fundraiser for Friends of the Library.  Shelly and I showed up on Wednesday evening to help organize the children's books.  And as anyone knows who loves books, if you're organizing books, you're bound to walk away with a few. Shh! Don't tell my husband since I'm at that stage in life when I'm supposed to be getting rid of stuff instead of acquiring more.  Some of my bounty will be given away, so it won't all be adding to our already overstuffed bookshelves.  Here's a peek at my finds!
 Hello Baby! by Mem Fox
Not a Box by Antoinette Portis
Peter Spier's wordless picture book Christmas!
Biscuit's Christmas Eve (with flaps to open) by Alyssa Capucilli
Oh Holy Night (a die-cut board book) by Tracy Harrast
Watercolor Box (I probably would have bought it just for the delightful illustration on the front, but look inside . . . never used, complete with the tissue paper and brushes still wrapped in plastic.)
Marvel, Ultimate Sticker Collection with all the stickers intact
Robert Sabuda & Matthew Reinhart pop-up book, Encyclopedia Prehistorica Dinosaurs 
And the yellow book with no dust jacket? An autographed copy of Tambourines! Tambourines to Glory! Prayers and Poems, selected by Nancy Larrick. Here's the Langston Huges poem that inspired the title of the book:
And the total cost of 8 books and one box of watercolors?  $12.50! (Book sale volunteers get their purchases for half price.) You can see why I always manage to squeeze in time to volunteer at each of our library book sales. And I love visiting with neighbors, former students and their parents, and fellow book lovers who shop our sales.

5 comments:

  1. What a good deal! I'm glad you were able to find good things and grow your library a little bit. It does make volunteering for the book sale a little sweeter.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What fun! I love helping to set up at the Friends of the Library sale too. You do have some great finds. Lucky recipients!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't know how anyone could give the water colour set away!

    ReplyDelete
  4. A kindred spirit you are, buyer of books ... what a bargain! I think at this point I own stock in Amazon. I also love your heading quote "Everything is held together with stories. That is all that is holding us together, stories and compassion" - I believe that wholeheartedly.

    ReplyDelete