Tuesday, September 22, 2020

Slice of Life & #52Stories 36/52: At the Ocean

#52Stories is my attempt to write 52 stories from my life during the year 2020. At least one story a week, in no particular order, to remember and document some of the memories and moments of my life.

We're on a brief getaway on an inlet of Puget Sound, two nights with two grand boys, and daughter and son-in-law. It's a delight to go somewhere! My daughter headed straight for the water when we arrived, not a surprise since this daughter was a junior naturalist with the Seattle Aquarium when she was in high school. 

We've loved watching the water, digging around in the water, exploring the roads and paths, and finding sea anemones at low tide. This morning we watched herons and eagles and geese. Jack and I went on a discovery walk to observe markers at high tide that we can watch as the high tide ebbs out and more is exposed. We also discovered a road/path that is in the process of being graded. Jack called it a junk road because it's filled with roots and rocks and dirt, a perfect road for a three year old!

I can't be near the ocean without thinking about one of my favorite books, Gift from the Sea by Anne Morrow Lindbergh. I rarely read books again, but this a book I love to revisit. Someday, I would like to spend more than a few days near the ocean. I searched good reads for some favorite quotes. I'm limiting myself to sharing three of the quotes I found (only one is identified as coming from Gift from the Sea).

The idea of stilling and feeding the soul is my favorite theme from Lindbergh's book:
“The problem is not entirely in finding a room of one's own, the time alone, difficult and necessary as that is. The problem is more how to still the soul in the midst of its activities. In fact, the problem is how to feed the soul.”
― Anne Morrow Lindbergh, Gift from the Sea

And this quote is new to me, but it's a new favorite for my writer's notebook:

“One writes not to be read but to breathe...one writes to think, to pray, to analyze. One writes to clear one's mind, to dissipate one's fears, to face one's doubts, to look at one's mistakes--in order to retrieve them. One writes to capture and crystallize one's joy, but also to disperse one's gloom. Like prayer--you go to it in sorrow more than joy, for help, a road back to 'grace'.”
― Anne Morrow Lindbergh, War Within & Without: Diaries and Letters of Anne Morrow Lindbergh, 1939-1944
 

 

And finally, this quote about why we need to share our writing. I'm so grateful for this writing group that provides warm sun for my writing efforts: 

“You can’t just write and write and put things in a drawer. They wither without the warm sun of someone else’s appreciation.”
― Anne Morrow Lindbergh

 

Three pictures from our brief pandemic getaway:

9 comments:

  1. Love this trip and all you did! I also love Gift from the Sea. It has been years. I must go find it on my shelf. thanks for the quotes they were perfect for today.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My sister-in-law posted a gratitude Instagram post about Puget Sound and how the air is finally clear. We've had many fun times on those beaches with cousins. I hope we can get back there next year.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love that you were able to go to the ocean with little Jack. He looks like he had a wonderful time on the pandemic getaway. I love the stillness of one of the photos so I went back into my slice and placed it there as an add-on to my mini-Embraceable Summer (September) Gallery.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Ramona. From beginning to end I loved reading this. Anne Morrow Lindbergh's book is a gem. The last two quotes of hers you shared are personal favorites.There aren't many books I reread except poetry and hers and those like hers, which are few. Thank you for all you shared.

    Laure

    ReplyDelete
  5. Feeding the soul is such a good phrase. Thank you for the quotes and a book recommendation. I hope you get more getaways that feed your soul.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your pandemic getaway looks amazing! (The farthest I've gone in the past eight months has been to the next county.)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yay -- a getaway! You make me want to read A Gift from the Sea.
    xo,
    ruth

    ReplyDelete
  8. Refreshing words for feeding the soul. So lovely. I’d love to scoop up that book. It seems perfect for SOL quotes in January. Love your getaway.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. From, Betsy 🙃
      I was signed into my daughter’s account. 😊

      Delete