Tuesday, January 5, 2021

Slice of Life: OLW for 2021

I took one of those online quizzes where you answer a series of questions to determine what your OLW should be. I didn't expect to stick with the one selected, but it found me and it's stuck. More about my 2021word in a bit, but first a quick visit to my previous words of the year. 

This is my ninth year to choose a word to guide me. Words that I have chosen in previous years include listen, savor, stretch, abide, nourish, delight, try, and light (my OLW for 2020).

I really thought I would choose gather or connect as my OLW for this year (words that were in the running for my 2020 word). But comfort, the word from my online quiz, continued to call to me. And so, I'm yielding to comfort which feels just right for 2021.

I've chosen three ways to interact with comfort during this year. My journey with comfort may take me in new directions, but I'm choosing to focus on comfort through the lens of three phrases:

Snuggle into comfort.

Reach out to comfort.

Step out of your comfort zone.

I'm not one of those people who begins the new year ready to tackle personal improvement projects or set resolutions. It's hard for me to say goodbye to the lights of Christmas and the joy it sprinkles into life. And so for now, I'll be snuggling into comfort. One of the ways I do that is by replacing my nutcracker collection with my snowman collection and keeping the white lights and greenery on the mantel. I'll keep my new blanket handy for snuggling under any time I sit in my favorite chair. And I'll savor hot chocolate on rainy days to comfort my heart and chase away winter's gray.

The January page of My Favorite Things calendar (Wendy Bentley) has a perfect quote to remind me of my intention to snuggle into comfort: "Winter is the season for snuggling and staying warm." What's your favorite way to snuggle into comfort?
 It’s Slice of Life Tuesday! Click over to Two Writing Teachers to read more slices!

4 comments:

  1. I love the way you took your word and considered it in different lights. Comfort is the perfect word for this time of year. Moving out of our comfort zone is where the magic happens!

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh I love the comfort work and how you are thinking about using it this year! I also sit in a favorite chair with a blanket and a good book. Although for me it is the snow that I watch out the window instead of the rain! Happy New Year to you and your family! Stay well!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree! The different ways you are thinking about comfort make this a dynamic word choice. "Reach out to comfort" resonates so much right now, knowing that so many are in need of empathy and support.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Comfort sounds perfect! It is my ninth year of choosing a OLW too and this year I did it a bit differently.

    ReplyDelete