Tuesday, May 28, 2024

Slice of Life: This Moment

I've been struggling with writing each week ever since the end of March's Slice of Life. Sometime during this past week, I remembered a padlet where I have saved mentor slices. So I visited it and chose Elisabeth's This Moment slice as today's mentor text. Go read hers, it's exceptional!

Son-in-law ladles leftover Chicken Tikka Masala into turquoise freezer cubes, scraping every last bit of delicious sauce from the red pot on the stove. Drawers open and close with a gentle swish as he pads about the kitchen in sock feet. Final dinner pots are washed and set on the drainer cloth to air dry.

Daughter's voice reading aloud to Jack and Robby floats down the hallway from the boys' bedroom followed by her voice singing one of four songs the boys request at bedtime.

The Book That Kibo Wrote sits on the kitchen table, evidence of Ollie's earlier read aloud with Grandma and Grandpa.

Daughter and son-in-law escape for a quick game of pickle ball. I finish my slice and reach for my phone to continue listening to next week's book club selection, currently at 29% finished with 9 hours, 59 minutes, and 03 seconds remaining.

7 comments:

  1. I'm so glad you found some inspiration! Honestly, we could do "This Moment" slices every week, find plenty of material, and be doing this whole slicing thing exactly right. I love how your piece puts us right in the kitchen in the middle of family, food, and books--just perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the detail in your moment. When we add details to our writing it puts us right in the room with you. And what are you listening to?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Heaven and Earth Grocery Store

      Delete
  3. The small scenes stringed together make a perfect slice.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a descriptive slice, Ramona! I appreciated how you've captured the cozy, domestic details of your evening - the leftovers being portioned out, the gentle sounds of the kitchen, your daughter reading and singing to the boys, the evidence of the earlier shared book still lingering on the table. It's such a warm, evocative snapshot.
    Here's to many more slices ahead!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I find this format magical in its clear imagery and ability to take your reader into these special moments, Great format!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ramona, I don't write blog posts on a set basis outside of the SOLSC & occasional Ethical ELA poems...it's a stamina issue, and I am often writing notes and other ideas, always composing in my head. I say all this to say...set yourself free of "having" to post. I imagine you know this already, though. I will write when something comes to me - when I have a feeling that a thing needs to be written. Sometimes it has no shape at all - just a pull to write, and then it comes together. Your moment here is so vivid - a true slice of life. I feel I am there, seeing and hearing it all. There's often gold to be found in mining previous poems, posts, and mentor texts - you have certainly found it and shared it here.

    ReplyDelete