Friday, August 2, 2024

Spiritual Journey Thursday: Pause to Reflect


Carol Varsalona at Beyond Literacy Link, invites us to pause to reflect, to cultivate a slowdown spirit for our August Spiritual Journey posts.

Thursday night I sat down to put together a few thoughts for this post, only to discover that we had no internet. I planned to share some words from a July Reflection Questions email by Emily P. Freeman. And a day later, I still want to share them.

"Rather than rushing right into August carrying the exact same load, here is a moment at the end of the month for you and for me to look back before moving forward.
 
This takes courage, to be sure. Depending on the month you've had, looking back may feel intimidating, scary, or even a little annoying. But the skill (yes, you can learn it!) of reflection is an important one. It requires courage, compassion, and the ability to observe something without trying to judge, grade, or fix it."
 
And when I read her words, I was drawn to that last sentence about the skill of reflection.
"It requires courage, compassion, and the ability to observe something without trying to judge, grade, or fix it." And therein is the reason I often resist reflecting. You see, I have not cultivated this ability to observe without trying to judge, grade, or fix.
 
Today I had a string of unlucky/lucky events. After watching the grands this morning, I headed to the pharmacy to pick up a prescription for my husband who has Covid (unlucky). They didn't have the medicine (unlucky) and told me the closest pharmacy with the medicine was 25 minutes away (unlucky again). They also shared that this pharmacy was closing for lunch break in 30 minutes (unlucky once again). 
 
I immediately headed there and managed to snag the prescription before the lunch break with two minutes to spare (lucky). I pulled away from the drive through window and noticed that a library I had been wanting to visit was across the street (lucky). So I popped in and managed to snag Kate Bowler's latest book, Have a Beautiful, Terrible Day (lucky). I continued my lucky streak by discovering Chapter 23, a blessing for a good pause.
 
"This is the moment. I can feel it.
It is the microsecond pause . . . 
 
This is the sacred space of the nothing-yet,
a place where I can become aware
that you are pulling at me, tugging at me.
Be present with me here,
in these whirring seconds,
at the tiny crossroads that is this moment,
slowing me long enough to wonder:
Is that you tapping me on the shoulder?
 
All right. I'm listening." 
(Kate Bowler, Have a Beautiful, Terrible Day)
 
Each chapter begins with a scripture or quote, followed by a few introductory paragraphs, a poem, and a reflection prompt. 
 
May we have more microsecond pauses, that leave us wondering, "Is that you tapping me on the shoulder?" And may we be led to answer, "All right. I'm listening." 

I like to think of today's lucky moments as times of wonder. I'm grateful for the crossroads and pauses that led me to recognize goodness in a busy, harried day.

3 comments:

  1. Ramona, I think by nature we want to fix things which is why it is difficult to look back at the previous month and just accept that what happened happened and there is no going back to fix things. We can only move forward. I am glad your day changed from unlucky to lucky. God does have a plan for us and I believe that the lucky end of your day would not have happened without the unlucky start. Bob

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gosh, I love love love "tiny crossroads of a moment" -- where everything in life is held, the sacred and profane, the lucky and unlucky. I think God must meet us there in those places of inbetween, waiting, hoping we will pause and offer a nod. Thank you for this post, Ramona!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ramona, I did not forget to respond to you. The family took a 7 day trip to Cape May, NJ and we are coming home now. I am glad that I am reading your post now. Your words are pouring in some spiritual wisdom. Thanks to the links to the female two writers. You certainly have paused to reflect and that act has allowed me to pause also.Crossroads help us make decisions and pauses bring slow-downs.

    ReplyDelete