Tuesday, December 27, 2016

Slice of Life: My Tough Dilemma!

Today I join my fellow bloggers in "serving up a slice" 
to the Tuesday Slice of Life (SOL) community.
Thanks to Stacey, Betsy, Dana, Beth, Kathleen, Deb, Lisa, and Melanie
 for hosting this meeting place each Tuesday and nurturing our writing lives.

I hate to make this public, but sometimes I'm a rule breaker.  You see, my desire for books is always bigger than my capacity for reading. Right now I have an overdue book (just one day overdue) that I'm keeping for a bit longer even though there are 43 people waiting to read it.  Are you wondering what it is?  It's Ghost by Jason Reynolds.  I can't return it unfinished!  So I'm making this a short slice so I can get back to reading.  We have friends in town for a few days so it's tough to squeeze in reading time.

And then I have to get back to another book that I've neglected in the holiday rush, Present Over Perfect:  Leaving Behind Frantic for a Simpler, More Soulful Way of Living by Shauna Niequist.   It's due tomorrow and there's no way I can finish it.  And 87 people are waiting for this book.  Decision time . . . I'll use my Christmas gift certificate to Island Books to purchase this one.  It's that good!

Since many slicers are using this week to write about their OLW for 2016, here's the link to my reflection on abide which I wrote earlier in the month.  The week between Christmas and NewYear's is one of my favorite weeks of the year.  I hope each of you find time to relax and recharge as 2016 draws to a close.   

11 comments:

  1. I understand that you can't return good books to the library unfinished. Don't worry about the number of people waiting. I am sure these readers have held books overdue. I added the two titles to my TBR pile. Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
  2. As a patron I'm all "Oh my word! Return the book already! I'm waiting in line here!" As a reader I'm all "I totally get it! Finish that overdue book. You can't return it unfinished!" As a librarian I'm all "Well, you know the rules," then in a whisper voice "Just keep the overdue book. But hurry and finish it. Cuz I totally 'get it.'" Haha! Happy Reading!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I bet you've waited while others did the same. take a few more days and enjoy the read.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Glad to hear someone else does this! I have several novels in verse that I have been holding onto-- we are choosing the CYBILS finalists in the next couple of days and I might night them. I just finished ALL AMERICAN BOYS by Jason Reynolds and am on the wait list for GHOST. And then someone else just posted about PRESENT OVER PERFECT. I want to get hold of that one too! Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You rule-breaker, you. :) GHOST is definitely worth finishing... one of my faves for 2016! xo

    ReplyDelete
  6. I had Ghost from the library as an e-book and didn't get to it. Now I have to wait - I am at the bottom of the list. Darn. Present Over Perfect: Leaving Behind Frantic for a Simpler, More Soulful Way of Living by Shauna Niequist is new to me - I will have to look that one up.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Chuckle indeed, I did when I read your post. Yes, you *must* finish GHOST. I would love to talk to you about it when you're finish! I can't now because I don't want to spoil *anything* for you! Happy reading my friend and a happy and joyful 2017 to you! ~Amy

    ReplyDelete
  8. All book lovers will understand and empathize with you. You can't return a book when you haven't gotten to the ending! Now I have to add Ghost to my reading list.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I admire you for using the library. I have a weakness for buying books. I'm terrible about checking out and keeping them over time.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ghost is that good! I understand the problem of not wanting to return an unfinished book (I have been known to turn off the wifi on my Kindle in such situations).

    ReplyDelete
  11. Pretty sure we non-rule breakers have even broken this one a time or two- sometimes intentionally, sometimes not. I am grateful for the title recommendation Present Over Perfect: Leaving Behind Frantic for a Simpler, More Soulful Way of Living. I am listening to Care of the Soul on Audio books right now and can see the importance of having a stream of input like this to balance out all the demands in life. Sometimes it is best to ask for forgiveness rather than follow the rule.

    ReplyDelete