Tuesday, December 20, 2016

Slice of Life: Three Latecomers to the Tree!

Today I join my fellow bloggers in "serving up a slice" 
to the Tuesday Slice of Life (SOL) community.
Thanks to Stacey, Betsy, Dana, Beth, Kathleen, Deb, Lisa, and Melanie
 for hosting this meeting place each Tuesday and nurturing our writing lives.

Three latecomers to the Christmas tree:
One from the upstairs bulletin board, 
One from a the kitchen drawer
(after a Krazy glue repair), and
One from Stitch Buffalo and our poet friend, Amy.
  I love Christmas ornaments.  

Check out Amy Ludwig Vanderwater's post about the bird ornament from Stitch Buffalo's Refugee Women's Workshop.  You can read more about this organization at Amy's post, Birds, Hope, and A Way to Give. The ornament arrived yesterday along with Amy's poem, "Welcome" and a delightful list of ten beautiful words which I'll share on my weekend Celebrate post.  


The angel was a Christmas gift from my son the year he was serving as a missionary in the Nashville, TN mission.  The inscription is, "Mothers bring heaven closer to earth."  It resides year round on my bulletin board and some years I forget to put it on the tree.  


The little rocking horse ornament is special to our family.  We found it in the attic of our house in Houston, TX.  Our first Christmas in that house was thirty years ago when we had a two month old and a two year old!  This past year the horse's head fell off and so this ornament sat in a kitchen drawer waiting for a glue repair until I retrieved it today.  


If you love Christmas ornaments and the stories that go with them, I hope you're familiar with Aliki's picture book Christmas Tree Memories.   And this morning I discovered a new adult book in the NYT book section that I'm requesting from the library, Tree of Treasures by Bonnie Mackay.   Someday I'm going to write my own little book about the treasures on our tree and the stories behind each of them.    

4 comments:

  1. I love this! I love my ornaments, too. They come from near and far. This year I gave my newly married daughter her box of ornaments collected through the years to take to their apartment for their first tree. One year, I wrote about a special ornament from my mom in "The Reindeer". Thanks for sharing yours. Maybe I will write more and post on Saturday.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ornaments with stories. Don't wait for someday, start writing now. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great idea to write about ornaments and memories--there are so many stories to tell. Thanks so much for sharing some of yours.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You have given me a writing project. THANK YOU!

    ReplyDelete