Saturday, September 16, 2017

Celebrate This Week!

Join us each weekend for Celebrate This Week with Ruth Ayres.

When we pause to celebrate, we find the joy.
Discover. Play. Build. 

   A week filled with moments to celebrate and remember.

So much to celebrate -
Book sales, food drives, guitar lessons, and grandsons!
  • I worked at our Friends of the Library book sale.  In addition to helping set up the children's section, I worked one evening shift.  There's nothing more fun than helping patrons of our library find books.  It's a great source of income for our Friends of the Library and a wonderful service to our community.  Fall is when we have our big sale!  I unpacked 20+ boxes of children's books, others had already unpacked many boxes when I arrived on Monday evening, and there were still 20+ boxes to go when I left.  But when I stopped by the next evening they were all unpacked!  I celebrate finding board books and children's classics for my grandsons, literary fiction for my sisters-in-law, and the occasional books for myself. This year I scored two small finds for me:  Stitches by Anne Lamott and Read It! Play It! with Babies and Toddlers.  
  • Lance and I manned the doors for a two hour shift at QFC this morning for our local food pantry.  My favorite donors are the parents who share the list with their child and then return with a bag that they allow their child to donate.  I love the parental example that teaches the power of giving to one's community!  I celebrate the community members who just reach for the list of items needed (with no explanation needed) because that's just what they do.  One generous lady commented, "I'm grateful to have enough to eat and glad to share." 
  • I started guitar lessons!  Nancy Stewart, a local performer, teaches Mother Goose guitar lessons as part of her ongoing pilot project Sing With Our Kids.  And Friday night was my first lesson.  We learned three chords.  I walked away with a loaner guitar and a notebook full of songs (with guitar chords) to sing with kids and sore fingers.  
  • Here's a pic of grandson Teddy's jubilant goodbye to summer at the splash pad!
 
  • And here's grandson Jack and his dad saying hello to fall and football season!  

3 comments:

  1. Working at the book sale must be a delight. I can't imagine that you didn't bring home a trunk load! And sharing your time at the food bank is wonderful. I'm glad you shared a bit about that experience, Ramona. And, wow, how great that you are starting guitar lessons. You'll love it I expect. Ingrid certainly does. She just got a new, larger, guitar. Finally, and best--those grand boys. They are the cutest, and I know you're loving being a grandma!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Guitar lesson - go girl! My youngest started her guitar lessons also last week. Have fun!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yay for learning a new instrument! Your grandsons look so adorable. Teddy looks like he had a blast with the water. I remember taking my children to such things and the delight they expressed. Isn't volunteering the best?

    ReplyDelete