Tuesday, September 10, 2019

Slice of Life: Number Fun

Some weeks I'm in search of a slice. This was one of those weeks, until I noticed something my brother posted on Facebook about Palindrome Week (actually it's ten days of palindrome fun).

And then of course I had to take today's numerical palindrome. 9/10/19 and relate it to my reading life.  I forced myself to do this quickly, so you'll notice I used the label "books I love" rather than "favorite books," which is far too difficult to determine. And if I made this list tomorrow, it's a sure thing that the books would be different. 

Nine poetry books I love:
 1. Read-Aloud Rhymes for the Very Young selected by Jack Prelutsky
2. Twinkle, Twinkle, Little Car by Kate Dopirak 
3. One Today by Richard Blanco
4.  Sketches from a Spy Tree by Tracie Vaughn Zimmer
5. Autumnblings by Douglas Florian (and all the other seasonal books in the series)
6. Clackety Track by Sheila Brown
7. Jumping Off Library Shelves selected by Lee Bennett Hopkins
8. The Great Frog Race and Other Poems by Kristine O'Connell George
9. The 20th Century Children's Poetry Treasury selected by Jack Prelutsky

Ten middle grade books I love:
 1. The War that Saved My Life
 2. A Night Divided by Jennifer A. Nielsen
 3. The Brilliant Fall of Gianna Z. by Kate Messner
 4. Ida B by Katherine Hannigan
 5. Counting by 7s by Holly Goldberg Sloan
 6. Home of the Brave by Katherine Applegate
 7. Gossamer by Lois Lowry
 8. The Seventh Most Important Thing by Shelley Pearsall
 9. One for the Murphys by Lynda Mullaly Hunt 
10. The Liberation of Gabriel King by K. L. Going 

Nineteen picture books I love:
 1. A Big Mooncake for Little Star by Grace Lin
 2. Chicken Sunday by Patricia Polacco
 3. A Kite for Moon by Jane Yolen & Heidi Stemple 
 4. Vroom! by Barbara McClintock
 5. Owl Moon by Rosemary Wells
 6. Honey by David Ezra Stein
 7. The Maggie B. by Irene Haas
 8. Laura Charlotte by Kathryn O. Galbraith
 9. The Story Blanket by Ferida Wolff
10. Baking Day at Grandma's by Anika Denise
11. All the Places to Love by Patricia MacLachlan
12. I Know Here by Laurel Croza
13. What is Given from the Heart by Patricia C. McKissack
14. The Stars Will Still Shine by Cynthia Rylant 
15. The Hello, Goodbye Window by Norton Juster
16. Loving Hands by Tony Johnston
17. On the Night of the Shooting Star by Amy Hest

The last two on my list are brand new discoveries. That's what's wonderful about books, there are always new ones to love!
18. Pick a Pumpkin by Patricia Toht (just checked out from the library this week)
19. The Scarecrow by Beth Ferry (just discovered at my indie bookstore, Island Books, this week)

I'm forcing myself to stop this numerical madness and share this post about books I love. How about it? Let me know about the books you love in the comments.

2 comments:

  1. Oh... you've reminded me that I need to get my copy of "Autumnblings" off the shelf to share with my little ones.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And Alice, do check out The Scarecrow and Pick a Pumpkin. They are both wonderful fall books.

      Delete