Friday, May 15, 2020

Poetry Friday: Crushed with Beauty

  Jama at Jama's Alphabet Soup is hosting 
this week's roundup of poetic goodness and
serving yummy chocolate chip cookies 
in honor of National Chocolate Chip Day.


Marion Strobel's poem "Spring Morning" is a perfect capture of how I felt on this morning's walk. Don't you love the photo of the poet, Marion, in her hat?

 Published on Academy of American Poets (https://poets.org)


Spring Morning

O day—if I could cup my hands and drink of you,
And make this shining wonder be
A part of me!
O day! O day!
You lift and sway your colors on the sky
Till I am crushed with beauty. Why is there
More of reeling sunlit air
Than I can breathe? Why is there sound
In silence? Why is a singing wound
About each hour?
And perfume when there is no flower?
O day! O Day! How may I press
Nearer to loveliness?

Credit

This poem is in the public domain. Published in Poem-a-Day on March 22, 2020, by the Academy of American Poets.

About this Poem


“Spring Morning” originally appeared in “Poetry,” (volume 19, 1922).

Author


Marion Strobel
Marion Strobel was born in 1895.
Date Published: 1922-01-01
Source URL: https://poets.org/poem/spring-morning-0


All of the attached pics (including the purple irises beside the poem) were taken on my morning walk on May 15, 2020.

"O day! O day!
You lift and sway your colors on the sky
Till I am crushed with beauty."

 
 
















2 comments:

  1. And now you've found a poem worthy of those pictures, Ramona! I envy you every time you share! Yes, I love the poet's picture too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ramona, following a mentor text is always helpful. I like how you pictured your response. I am ready for an afternoon walk soon. I need it.

    ReplyDelete