Thursday, March 16, 2017

SOLSC 16/31: A Meditation on Badges!


Today I join my fellow bloggers in "serving up a slice" 
to the Slice of Life (SOL) community.
Thanks to Stacey, Betsy, Beth, Kathleen,
Deb, Lisa, Melanie, and Lanny
for hosting this meeting place each day in March
and for nurturing our writing lives.

A few days ago, I opened the SOL call for writing to find these two  questions (Are you a last minute, write by the seat of your pants slicer?  Or do you plan ahead?) and two new badges.  

I had an immediate response.  You see, I'm a pantser, but I'm no longer a last minute slicer.  Oh, I used to be.  For years, I would sit down at 10 pm to write a slice, and race the clock to make the midnight deadline.  But then in the interest of fairness to everyone, we learned that "everyone has the same 24 hour period in which to post,"  and while it may be fair, it strikes fear into the heart of this West coast slicer.  I no longer have the luxury of writing at 10 pm.  (And I kind of miss that adrenaline rush I used to get as the midnight hour approached.)  

This year, I've taken an entirely new approach.  I write in the middle of the night.  That's right!  Whenever I wake up in the middle of the night and start thinking about my slice, I grab my computer and slice away.  Because I'm retired, I have the luxury of going back to sleep after my middle of the night writing.   I don't think this is a healthy approach and I fear that I'm screwing up my sleep cycle.  

So why can't I write my post at 10 pm for the next day?  I'm not a night person, and I needed that deadline in order to write at night.  In my defense, I've been trying to stop writing in the middle of the night.   I managed to sleep until 5 am this morning before grabbing my computer.  

So why do I feel that there is a judgment against the pantsers of the slicing world?  Who says that a pantser doesn't plan ahead?  I am constantly composing slices in my head.  I have at least three slices percolating in the back of my head right now.  So I propose a new badge for the seat of the pants slicer who still manages to plan ahead (even if that planning is only in her mind).  "Plantser!"  How about it? Where do you fall on this continuum I've created?  Pantser, Plantser, or Planner?

11 comments:

  1. I had a similar thought when I saw the badges... I plan in my mind (sometimes) throughout the day... or while I'm getting the kids to bed. Sometimes I grab my phone and jot an idea, or a starting sentence... I like "Plantser" :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ramona,
    I love this as I could not decide if I was a Pantser or Planner. Plantser is perfect! Thanks for thinking outside the box and hope that your sleep cycle continues to work for you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You make me laugh! I think you are correct in creating the new terminology. I am a planner, I have to plan my post the day before, but if something happens before posting that is slice-worthy I will go with it. I've been wondering what you are up to when you comment so early on my post. I've said to my husband, "What's Ramona doing up? It's 4 a.m. in her world." Now I know. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, writers are always thinking and composing, even when our computer keys aren't clicking or pencils aren't moving. I would admit that I am a combination of both, a plantser!, but I prefer being a planner because it makes me less stressed. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm a planner... in every aspect of my life really.

    ReplyDelete
  6. So spot on, Ramona. And that's why I didn't grab one of the badges. For me it's all of the above and more. I write in stages, rarely do I write in a linear manner all in one setting. And I read and comment throughout the day, evening--here a little and there a little, grazing all day.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm like you...a combination of both. I used to get up at 5:30 every morning to get my slice finished. Now, I am sleep in and get it done at some point in the day. But I am always planning what I will write when I get to it. Sometimes I write it on my phone when I am on the go and just post it later.

    Do you really care about your sleep cycle? Maybe in April you can use the time to start writing the novel that will make you famous!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Planter... I can go with that. Good job of coming with just the word we need.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am a planner, planner, planner. It's my first year, but I know from my days on the college newspaper, I do NOT function well last second. I'm never satisfied with the wording.

    It reminds me of the book Thinking Fast and Slow. I think that's the title, anyway. I read an excerpt of it. It was pretty thought-provoking about the link between procrastination and creativity. I have come up with some great things last minute too, but I'm never, ever comfortable in it.

    ReplyDelete
  10. So funny, Ramona.I plan way ahead, and then do minor revisions right before posting. But, I admire everyone who are last too. If it works for them, why not? And yes, I think we do need that "pantser" button.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I certainly got a good chuckle out of this. Isn't it amazing how clever we can get with words? I thoroughly enjoyed reading about your writing style. "Plantser" on my friend!

    ReplyDelete