Friday, March 17, 2017

SOLSC 17/31 & Poetry Friday: A Book Spine Poem

Today I join my fellow bloggers in "serving up a slice" 
to the Slice of Life (SOL) community.
Thanks to Stacey, Betsy, Beth, Kathleen,
Deb, Lisa, Melanie, and Lanny
for hosting this meeting place each day in March
and for nurturing our writing lives.

If you've ever written book spine poetry, you know how it can totally mess up your bookshelves and become very time consuming as you search for those just right titles .  So this week, I limited myself to my current library picture books.  You may recognize a title that you've recommended since my picture book basket is filled almost exclusively with titles recommended by slicer friends.  

Welcome,
Step right up!
This house, once
Adrift at sea
A piece of home.

Head over to Robyn Hood Black's blog, 
Life on the Deckle Edgefor this week's
round-up of poetic goodness.  
Thanks, Robyn, for hosting this week!


21 comments:

  1. I love this poem!
    I have heard about book spine poetry but have never seen it. You have challenged me to try it.
    I worry I might get obsessed with finding the right titles!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That obsession in the past is why I forced myself to work with the books available in my picture book basket instead of the six shelves of picture books I own.

      Delete
  2. Wow. The tenacity and flexibility it took to create this is admirable! Beautiful slice.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Always wanted to create a book spine poem, but it's daunting. Yours is especially seamless.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This worked so well for you! I haven't tried book spine poetry in awhile. Like you, searching for the best books was a daunting task. I like the way you limited the choices. May have to try this again.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Always wanted to create a book spine poem, but it's daunting. Yours is especially seamless.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Creating a book spine poem is on my to do list... You have a great one here!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a great combination of titles! I have been playing with a few titles myself.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I like book spine poems. It is so interesting to see what titles people choose and how they combine the titles. You have made a sweet short poem with these five books available in your book basket.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love spine poems. Yours was great! Yes, they can certainly mess up your shelves. ;-) Good idea to limit the books!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Very nice! Book spine poems really can mess up your shelves. I can see why Robyn thought our posts were related :-)

    ReplyDelete
  11. You may have a lot of picture books or are very lucky. This is wonderful! Love "A Piece of home" to end.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love the way you shuffled this into place, Ramona.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love the poem. I used to love turning my students loose to create book spine poetry after a morning of testing. It was well worth the mess.

    ReplyDelete
  14. How I love these poems! What a great image of a house becoming a home!

    ReplyDelete
  15. How beautiful!!

    I've seen book spine poetry, but I've never been brave enough to try my hand at it myself!

    ReplyDelete
  16. What a perfect poem. And I totally get your need for parameters when writing spineys!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Wow! I'm always impressed by these and have never tried it. I think I need to give it a try. This poem is so complete and tight.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Oooh, I love when those titles flow so freely as verses, as you've done here... Terrific job, Ramona! :0)

    ReplyDelete
  19. What fun, and the poem rolled right along!

    ReplyDelete