Tuesday, March 28, 2017

SOLSC 28/31: I Keep My Promise Today!

Today I join my fellow bloggers in "serving up a slice" 
to the Slice of Life (SOL) community.
Thanks to Stacey, Betsy, Beth, Kathleen, Deb, Lisa, Melanie, and Lanny
for hosting this meeting place each day in March
and for nurturing our writing lives.


Keep your promise!  Don't look at the daily response page on TWT.  Stay away from the reading list on blogger.  And above all, do not open your email.  You know Elsie's post for today is there calling you to take a quick look and luring you down the slippery slope.  It could be about food or travel or one of her posts that combine poetry with photos.  I repeat, keep your promise today to post before reading and commenting.  

And so I insert a photo taken earlier in the month.   How remarkable is it that this page on writing is the focus of my Susan Branch calendar page for March?

Here are some favorite quotes from the March page:
  • There's the all time favorite William Wordsworth quote, first introduced to me by my colleague, Alice.  "Fill your paper with the breathings of your heart." 
  • "There are places I'll remember all my life."   Isn't that the best line ever to lead into a slice?
  • "Let yourself be silently drawn by the strange pull of what you really love; it will not lead you astray."  - Rumi
  • "Write like you talk - that's your true voice."  - Susan Branch
  •  And three powerful effects from the act of writing . . . "Regular writing lifts self-esteem, helps achieve goals, and relieves stress."  -Susan Branch 
    And because I'm not sure that I'll get back to writing about writing in the remaining three days of this month, I'm including a couple of additional quotes I love from the article,  "Carry a Journal Everywhere You Go" by the poet, Susan Wooldridge.  I found this article in the free resource The Writer's Guide to Poetry.  The two quotes I'm sharing book end Susan's article, one opens it and the other closes it.  Once you read these quotes, I'm sure you'll want to download The Writer's Guide to Poetry (see link above) and read the entire article.
    • "Carry a journal everywhere you go.  Next to your bed, inside your bed, in your car, wherever you find yourself, keep a journal and pen within reach.  Para siempre. Always."
    •  "Carry a journal everywhere you go. Not just when you travel. Forget your summer in Venice. Forget about catching up. Start with now. Take notes. Listen for the hum. The glimmer. An impulse. Forget the outside world. Catch emerging words and begin to guide them into form, or not. Write into discovery. An act of love. Enjoy."
    I'm happy to report that I kept my promise today!  I ate my vegetables (wrote my post) and now I'm off to enjoy dessert (reading posts and leaving comments).  Tomorrow I may be back to eating dessert first!

    12 comments:

    1. Hi Ramona, I'm glad you kept your promise, and started my day with a book and wonderful words! Thanks, hope your day is a terrific one!

      ReplyDelete
    2. Ramona, I have two Susan Branch cookbooks that I have used for years. The quotes are a bonus and so is the Poetry Guide. Thanks for keeping us abreast of great quotes to spark our writing.

      ReplyDelete
    3. What a great slice! I love your quotes, too. Your start and the "slippery slope" made me smile!

      ReplyDelete
    4. Great bunch of quotes, Ramona. Thanks for sharing them with us.

      ReplyDelete
    5. "Catch emerging words and begin to guide them into form, or not." Now that's a great line and it's going into my little notebook as soon as I finish typing your comment. I need to catch more words more often. I have to laugh that you avoided your inbox because you might get distracted.

      ReplyDelete
    6. This is a slice I will read over and over again.

      ReplyDelete
    7. Your slippery slope is mine, too...love that last part- dessert first tomorrow!

      ReplyDelete
    8. This one has me smiling from ear to ear. I had to eat dessert lightly last night but tonight I have already had 10 servings. Sigh. They sure have been delicious!

      ReplyDelete
    9. Such a nice post with encouraging reminders. My favorite quote is at the top:
      "Everything is held together with stories. That is all that is holding us together, stories and compassion." -Barry Lopez
      Thanks!

      ReplyDelete
    10. I loved your lead and completely understand with that Elsie setting the tone for the day, making us drool over photos of her adventures and pure joy reading her writing. I loved all your shared today - the quotes are so important and some actions I can take!

      ReplyDelete
    11. I so enjoyed reading all these quotes, Ramona.
      I have loved quotes since I was young.
      I kept them in journals and I started a little spot where I share them online...
      http://littlehouseontheridgebee.blogspot.ca/

      ReplyDelete
    12. These are some really good quotes about writing. Thank you for sharing them. The line that stuck out to me the most was "listen for the hum." Love it!

      ReplyDelete