Tuesday, August 18, 2015

Tuesday SOL: Goodbye Book Links

Today I join my fellow bloggers in "serving up a slice" 
to the Tuesday Slice of Life (SOL) community.
Thanks to Stacey, Tara, Betsy, Dana, BethAnna, Kathleen, and Deb
for hosting this meeting place each Tuesday and nurturing our writing lives.


Goodbye, Book Links, my old friend,
It’s time to part with you for good.

You were my link at a time when I was needy, in the 80s,
A teacher turned mom-at-home.  You kept me up-to-date
on a world I missed.  Every issue had colorful sticky notes
peeking out of the pages with topics of articles I loved.
I made copies of articles for my files.  But most of all,
I requested books from the library.  And then I
reveled in staying connected to the world of books
and sharing books with my own children,
their teachers, my friends, other young people,
anyone who would listen.    

I was a confirmed book nerd, and in your pages 
I discovered members of my own tribe – contributors
and authors I gleefully followed in your pages. 

I returned to the classroom, third grade and then
sixth grade, always with you by my side leading me
to new books and authors, articles addressing timely topics,
and entire issues devoted to specific themes.

I was devastated when you merged with Booklist. 
For awhile, my subscription extended to include
Booklist delivered with my Book Links.   Eventually
that perk ended and so did my subscription. 
I still find myself occasionally picking up a recent edition
of Book Links (published quarterly now) at the library,
but mostly I’ve moved on. 
My blogger friends are now my tribe.
They are my community, my peeps
who connect me to the world of books.

Thanks, Book Links, for the part you played at a critical time.
I celebrate the friends I made through your pages, the books
I met through you, your monthly arrival in my mailbox.
I release you, sending your pages to “recycle heaven” knowing
I can access your wealth of knowledge with a few keystrokes,
with gratitude for the friendships gained through your pages. 

6 comments:

  1. It is funny how technology has changed all of our habits. When it comes to this writing circle, I am very grateful for the change. In other aspects of my life sometimes not too much grateful for all the technology.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I understand, Ramona...I am also hesitant to give up the paper copies of the books, magazines, journals, etc. that I have loved so much in the past. But if we don't clear out occasionally, we can never make room for more, right? :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I feel your pain! It was so hard to send the Book Links and Reading Teacher away to recycle when I retired too. Bet I have some hidden somewhere I forgot. If I ever move, I guess I will find them then. Loved your farewell to Book Links and so happy to be part of your tribe.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have so many, too, Ramona. Your post made me grin, widely! My book friend at school have already decided we will still share our favorites with each other. We both seem to be the only staff member who loved Book Links, other than the librarians. Now my book "links" are online too, as you said.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I remember Book Links! I'm so happy to be a part of your current tribe! We love Ramona!

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's so hard to let go of some resources. I have more than 20 years worth of Horn Books stored in a cabinet! Sometimes if I'm looking for something specific, I stumble across a review of a book that's since become a classic. I suppose I'll have to send them the way of your Book Links soon enough!

    ReplyDelete