Sunday, November 29, 2015

Celebrate This Week!

                             Join us each weekend for Celebrate This Week with Ruth Ayres.  
                                          When we pause to celebrate, we find the joy. 
Discover. Play. Build.
  A week filled with moments to celebrate and remember!

I've had a despicable cold this week, but in spite of that minor annoyance
to my days and nights, there's been much to celebrate:

1.  Family members
Sara and Will, my daughter and son-in-law had already planned to cook a large part of the feast anyway, but they stepped in to take over some of my contributions also.  Sara sent me to bed on Thanksgiving Eve (talk about role reversals) and helped me with several obligations when they dropped by yesterday to watch a football game.
Lance has been patient with my need for naps and
has continued to help out in the kitchen.  

2.  Friends who joined our celebration
Courtney, Staten, Laura, and Mark helped fill our table. 
Staten took this pic.  You know I'm sick if I'm not taking pictures.  

3. The opportunity to speak about gratitude last Sunday with two other lovely women
As I prepped for my talk, I kept coming back to a scripture that's been especially meaningful in my life with different layers of meaning at different times of my life.  
I explained touchstone mentor texts in my talk and coined (or borrowed) the term "touchstone scriptures" to reference the scriptures that resonate and continue to be meaningful throughout our lives.  It may not be original with me, but I love the idea of touchstone scriptures.

4.  Gratitude 
One of the speakers asked us to think of three things (just three?) we were grateful for. The first three that popped into my head were my Savior Jesus Christ, family, and friends.  As I've continued thinking about her question throughout the week, I would have to add two more - the beautiful world we live in and books!  

5.  The picture I didn't get to take
I was in Costco when I spotted two young girls (probably about 3rd grade) filling up most of the shopping cart.  They were reading (each with a copy of the same book), and it made me smile.  When their mother crossed in front of me a bit later, I asked permission to take a picture.  She politely declined my request.
So it's an image I carry in my heart!
Wondering what they were devouring while their mother shopped?  
Diary of a Wimpy Kid:  Old School!

6.  Sunshine
While it's been colder than usual, we've enjoyed multiple days of sunshine.  Here's a shot of the sun peeking through the trees that I caught one morning this week.

5 comments:

  1. Despite your cold (get well soon!), it sounds like a nice, nice week. My daughter hosted us as you already know, I guess, and it is lovely to not have to do ALL of it. Your idea of 'touchstone scriptures' is wonderful. I hope you shared that with your church members. Love that sun. We are supposed to get it back by tomorrow. More snow coming in tonight! Thanks for all, Ramona.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Take care of yourself Ramona! I love that gorgeous sunshine peeking through.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love that you carry the picture on your heart

    ReplyDelete
  4. I hope you're feeling better. I'm also glad that you had people who were eager to step in when you were needing to step back. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I hope you feel better. That final picture is beautiful. Thanks for celebrating.
    Ruth

    ReplyDelete