Wednesday, January 2, 2019

Slice of Life: Wrapping Up a Year of Delight!

Yesterday was NYE (when I saw this on Instagram, it took me awhile to figure out those letters were the acronym for New Year's Eve). The younger generation (in this case, my niece Kara) keeps my brain alert with new challenges to figure out all the time. 

One of my favorite "delight" posts for 2018 was the alphabet poem I wrote of things that delight me. And when I stopped to reflect, I realized that the last day of 2018 was a day filled with delight bookended by blue sky and sunshine and a beautiful sunset.
The blue sky and sunshine filled my heart with joy (we've had a run of rainy, cloudy days lately with more to come). Shopping included purchasing 2019 calendars, making some returns, a stop by a bookstore (always a delight), and a friend's purchase of oatmeal orange cranberry cookies which I saved to enjoy as an evening accompaniment to my current middle grade read, The Book of Boy.

My friend and I relished a leisurely walk (2.7 miles) along the edge of Lake Sammamish. We noticed sparkly green plants, red berries (winter's presence) and velvety buds (hinting of spring to come). The best part of the walk was the eagle sighting, perched on the highest branch keeping watch over the lake.
 
While returning from the grocery store late that afternoon, I spotted a gorgeous sunset through the trees. I frantically drove to the north end of the island hoping the colors would last until I could reach one of the pocket parks where I could snap a picture. And they did!

5 comments:

  1. Lovely end to a year - "bookended by blue sky and sunshine and a beautiful sunset."
    Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Definitely sounds like a day to enjoy! With an absolutely gorgeous ending! I love Colorado, but if I were to move, I would live by the water. Happy NY!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gorgeous photos! How lucky you are to have enjoyed that beautiful ending to the year!

    A few people wrote HNY on my Facebook page and it took me a couple of minutes to realize they meant Happy New Year. Therefore, I will wish you a HAPPY NEW YEAR (all written out!) since I think we're both challenged with the abbreviations!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love it when days are sandwiched with colorful skies! I've been known to run out the door and into the driveway in my PJs, camera in hand, in order capture the best shot of a sunrise early in the morning. Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you for sharing your delights with us... and hey, I remember one of those pocket parks! :) :) Delight, indeed! xo

    ReplyDelete