Tuesday, August 20, 2019

Slice of Life: The StoryWalk Needs a New Name!

We returned from a family trip on Monday. Today my daughter and I met at a park to play with the the three boys (grandsons 4 months, 2 1/2 years and 3 years). My daughter and I were enticed by the sign pointing to a nearby hillside with the words: "StoryWalk." She had heard of them, but hadn't had a chance to complete one. And anything that combines stories and walking is a surefire bet for me. 

At the beginning of the trail, our story began (posted on placards about the size of campaign signs).  Periodically along the trail, a new placard would continue the story. At some point, I mentioned to my daughter that it would have been nice to have posted the length of the walk on the beginning sign. Like the true millennial she is, she took my phone, googled StoryWalk, and read this short description:
* Approx 1 mile loop
* One steep hill and many roots on trail
*Wood/rock steps and narrow bridges on sections of trail
*Not stroller-friendly


And it was at this point that I wondered if that last hill we climbed had been the "one steep hill" . . . nope, the steep hill was still in our future. I must admit that the enticement of another sign and the continuing story kept not only our two and three year old toddlers going, but also kept this grandma moving along too. The story and adventure we followed?  "Fox and the Bike Ride" by Corey R. Tabor.  

If you want to know more about this endeavor, check out the PopUp StoryWalk site. I love their slogan/motto: "Get Outdoors! Get Reading." And the new name? The walkers in front of us (two moms, one baby in a front pack, and four children) agreed with us that our "StoryWalk" was really a "StoryHike." And we loved every minute!
 And they're off!
 Checking out tree hollows
 Observing a slug,
under daughter Sara's wrist
 Bridge crossing
 Posing for Grandma
 Cousins on a log
(Best Boys T shirts created for this vacation, since
I call all three of my grandsons My Best Boys!)
Boy #3 rode the entire way and 
snoozed for part of the hike.
 The story kept us involved & going forward.
We loved this opportunity to 
Get Outdoors! and
Get Moving!

It’s Slice of Life Tuesday!
Click over to Two Writing Teachers to read more slices!

6 comments:

  1. It was perfect! Thanks for a lovely morning Mom!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sound like a perfect day! Reading and hiking just the right thing to do! Lovely

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love this! I want to take my best boys when they are old enough. Boy number 2 isn't here yet, but he is making his presence known with loads of false labor.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This sounds awesome! I want to go on a story hike.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Once I saw your post today, I knew that I had to see another cousins walk. This one had a special add-on - a story. Thanks for sharing the fun, Ramona

    ReplyDelete