Tuesday, August 25, 2020

SOL & #52Stories 33/52: Routine Disrupted!

#52Stories is my attempt to write 52 stories from my life during the year 2020. At least one story a week, in no particular order, to remember and document some of the memories and moments of my life.

Grandson Jack and I have a regular morning routine. When Robby goes down for his morning (and only) nap, I have computer time while Jack does a table activity. Only today our routine was disrupted. It all started when Jack asked me to pick him up high. I had to tell him that I couldn't do that. I can still pick up my three and a half year old grandson, but picking him up high? That is something that only Dad can do. 

Jack jumped down and went to Dad's office (the spare bedroom) to ask if he could lift him up high. And of course, Dad was too busy so Jack returned with a sad face and a bit frustrated. Before I knew it, he had picked up my bag and dumped the contents onto the living room carpet (something he's never done before). He and I picked up everything and talked about other actions that might be more appropriate. He mentioned looking at an exciting picture in a book, or playing in his new home (the box from Dad's office chair). I demonstrated how it's okay to punch a pillow and say aloud what you're feeling when things don't go your way. 

But the biggest disruption that impeded my return to the computer and writing this post was an item that Jack found when we were replacing the items in my bag. Jack discovered a new chapter book that I had picked up at the library and was saving for our "after lunch" story time. How could I resist his plea for just one chapter? Each time we finished a chapter, the plea would be for "just one more" chapter. One chapter turned into nine and before we knew it, we reached page 110 and the end of the book.

I return to the computer to finish my post. And now Robby is awake. 

P.S. I didn't get back to finish this post until I returned home at the end of the day.

I always bring three books in our special book bag when I arrive to watch the grand boys! Here are today's picture books. I'm so glad that our local KCLS library has curbside pickup!

Our Friend Hedgehog is the chapter book that captivated my young grandson
and made it impossible for me to resist his plea for "just one more chapter." 
And yes, we read it again for "after lunch" story time.

 
And during Jack's quiet time? Why I'm busy reading whatever Robby picks out.
(I love how he stands on tiptoe to retrieve a favorite book.)

My days are rich and filled to the brim with joy!

4 comments:

  1. Books really do fix everything, don't they? What a lovely (and real) slice of life.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Of all the things that could interrupt your writing time, this has got to be one of the sweetest! I love it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh so lovely! So much fun to read book with kids. I need to use you to help me with books for my Grandson. We are working on board books now since he is just 14 months but you seem to find the best books. I am good at picking books when I can look at them but not so good finding what I want on line. I will have to gather ideas from you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Isabelle adored Hedgehog! (Lauren lives locally and has even had Isabelle up to her art studio. Therefore, Isabelle is waiting for book two with baited breath.)

    ReplyDelete