Tuesday, August 10, 2021

Slice of Life and #PB10for10: Storytime with Grandma!

 
I'm a some-of-the-time participant (this is my 7th year) in the 12th annual #PB10for10 event held each year on August 10. My happiest times are spent reading picture books with a grandchild or two in my lap! Here are ten books we've loved and read many times during the past year.

I picked up this one before our visit to Teddy's house last spring. Four year old boys love books about underwear and knights and dragons.

A recent find from the library, this one is perfect for machine loving youngsters and even has an element of guessing as they try to figure out the machine approaching by the lights it shows at night.

When our libraries reopened in July, I made a beeline to the Things that Go section. This one did not disappoint!


Such a sweet tale of a young girl's love for a place through the years. A perfect book to pair with All The Places to Love.

Who says old favorites don't still delight? Two year old Robby loves this die cut book with Little Green Monster's face that emerges and disappears.

 A wonderful book to celebrate the joy and magic of making things!

A lovely wordless picture book to celebrate the adventures of beachcombing. Four delightful end pages of fun facts.

Optimistic Sunny shows us how to find silver linings in the darkest clouds.
 
I couldn't remember the title of this one, but when I described it to my daughter, four year old grandson Jack recited the title verbatim. It involves three cousins, a spooky encounter at an old house, and the way the young people get to know an older person in their neighborhood.
 
 
All of us need a story friend to listen to our stories so that we can find our way and discover our voices. "We can do many things in this world, ... but listening to each other's stories is the most precious of all."  
 
Stop by Cathy Mere's blog, Reflect and Refine, for more #PB10for10 lists.

Here are my lists from previous years:
2019 - One-Day-Late List of Picture Book Favorites
2018 - Favorites Paired
2013 - Golden Lines about Night

3 comments:

  1. Oh, I can’t wait to find snd share these books! This morning I shared Slowly, Slowly Slowly, Said the Sloth by Eric Carle with two first grade classes. It was so much fun!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is so much fun to read to the grands, I'm sure. I've loved seeing your pics doing that, Ramona. There are a few that are new to me, like Sun & Out of The Blue. I have loved The Little Blue Cottage & The House at the End of the Road. Glad to see you here on PB10for10!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks, Ramona, for sharing your picks. Your grandchildren are so lucky to have a Grandma who loves to read to them. I remember photos of the children as early-early readers. One of my joys last week was to see Sierra choose 2 picture books from the little lending library in the park outside of the ice cream store. We read while eating ice cream-so COOL!

    ReplyDelete