Tuesday, February 28, 2023

Slice of Life: Round-up Time

I come from farmers and cattlemen, even though you have to go back to my maternal grandfather to find the first one. I love visiting the flat where our family lived for several generations. And even though I'm terrified of cattle and horses, I still participate in my own versions of round-up rodeos. Some days it's clothes, other days it's poems (saving that for a future slice), and yesterday . . .  it was snow stuff!

You see, we've had more than our share of the white stuff grace our lawns this winter, with much of it coming in November and December. I started collecting snow stuff because I love a good snow day (although they don't have the same charm now that I'm retired). And scattering my snow stuff around the house after Christmas makes me happy. 

Last week, my hair salon cancelled my much-needed appointment when we had snow. Granted, I live in the Pacific NW.  It doesn't take much snow for things to grind to a halt. So I've been especially apprehensive about the predicted snow for last night and today. That's why I had to resort to a round-up yesterday. 

And it worked! 

Here's the snow that greeted us this morning.

 
Looks like I'm getting a haircut today!

7 comments:

  1. I love the simplicity of this piece. Your voice was strong, and it was like you were sitting right next to me. I also enjoyed the pics and the connection I made to my sister. Thanks for the read.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love how you were negotiating with the weather! The first "measurable" snow of the season arrived this morning for me and after a mostly dry winter, everything has come to a halt! No haircut for me today!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love this post! Thank you for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  4. You had me hooked on your first sentence. We had eleven inches of snow last week. I am so sick of shoveling!

    ReplyDelete
  5. We have had very little snow here this season. I have had to shovel out the cars yet. Of course, March starts tomorrow and winter is not over yet.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the snow collection! Snow-people are so cute. I'm laughing at your snow though. I shovelled more than that out of my driveway with one pass of the snow blower. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love your beginning! It pulled me right in, and I love how you connect your background to the "round-up rodeo" of snow figures. So fun! Hope you enjoyed your haircut!

    ReplyDelete