Saturday, June 24, 2023

Poetry Friday: I Remember: Poems and Pictures of Heritage

I've been holding this book in reserve so I could share it for Poetry Friday. There's much to love in this compilation by Lee Bennett Hopkins. I'm not sure how I missed it when it first came out.

One of the things I love most is the invitation to poetry that precedes each poem. The School Library Journal explains it this way: "Each poet's work is preceded by a statement addressing what poetry means to them and how its format can tap into a person's heart and soul."

And then the poems! Fifteen diverse poets reflect on the unique heritages, traditions, and beliefs that shaped their lives. Each poem is accompanied by a stunning illustration with a note from each illustrator that explains their artistic approach. After you read the book, there's a delightful "About the Poets and Artists" section. Photographs of each contributor as a child and an adult accompany the brief bios. 

Check it out from your local library like I did. But once you've feasted on these pages, you'll definitely want a copy for your own bookshelf. I just ordered mine!

Linda Mitchell at A Word Edgewise is hosting our poetry playground this week.

3 comments:

  1. Thanks for the recommendation! I was able to get the ebook right away from my library. I loved browsing through, seeing poets I know and meeting new ones, too. The art is gorgeous. I think the endnotes with the photos is my favorite part! As usual, can’t go wrong following one of your book recs!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Diane, I do love sharing books. It's good to know that others like hearing about the books. One of these days I'll write some poetry again, but life is crazy busy with the move (and I require quiet time in order to create).

      Delete
  2. Isn't it amazing how these wonderful books are there waiting for us for exactly the right time? I love that you saved this book for Poetry Friday...I love poetry extra in the summer! Thank you.

    ReplyDelete