Friday, June 9, 2023

Poetry Friday: Where I Live

What a delight to pick up the book, Where I Live: Poems About My Home, My Street, and My Town, from my library holds shelf recently.

"This posthumous compilation selected by distinguished anthologist Janeczko beautifully captures the essence of home; Yum’s art enhances this, centering each poem firmly into diverse communities. . . . People and places are diverse in artistic expression, allowing readers to recognize themselves in different poems . . . an outstanding poetry compilation about the meaning of home."
—School Library Journal (starred review)

There are many wonderful poems by beloved poets featured on the charmingly illustrated pages. I can't resist naming the poets in this anthology that I've met in person or heard speak at conferences: Janet Wong, Amy Ludwig VanDerwater, Naomi Shihab Nye, Irene Latham, Paul B. Janeczko, and Charles Waters. While I was perusing the book, I decided to write a cento* from lines borrowed from these poets. 

*From the Latin word for “patchwork,” the cento (or collage poem) is a poetic form composed entirely of lines from poems by other poets.


On summer Mondays                                     (Irene Latham)         

in yellow boots                                               (Paul B. Janeczko)

ready to zoom,                                                 (Janet Wong)

each footprint a temporary tattoo.                   (Charles Waters)  

There is a place to stand,                                 (Naomi Shihab Nye)                

the place where I feel free.                              (Amy Ludwig VanDerwater)

 - Ramona Behnke      

 

I love the image of those yellow boots leaving temporary tattoos on the wet pavement. I look forward to finding a new place to stand and a place to feel free in our new home. Moving cross country at this stage of life is not for the weak of heart.

Be sure to check out this latest anthology, Where I Live. I included two of my favorite anthologies by Paul B. Janeczko from my own bookshelves in the picture. I can't wait to introduce fireflies to the grands when we move to North Carolina in July!    


 
                            
    Buffy Silverman is hosting Poetry Friday this week.

5 comments:

  1. Ramona, your cento shares so many visuals that I loved reading through each line many times-temporary tattoos & yellow boots! (Today, I was so exhausted that I forgot to add my PF blog until now.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a blessing to have met so many wonderful poets! The lines you chose in your cento come together to create a happy feeling of home.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a delightful way to review a book!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the great review--will definitely put it on my TBR list. And your cento works so well as an introduction to the book!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree with Mary Lee, love that you shared the book through your cento, Ramona. Best, best wishes on the move! I have a nephew and his husband who just moved to NC, in a gorgeous forest setting which they love. And another nephew & his family have lived near Asheville for years, also love it. I'm sure it's hard to say goodbye though, too.

    ReplyDelete