Wednesday, March 29, 2017

SOLSC 29/31: The Good, The Bad, and The Delicious!

Today I join my fellow bloggers in "serving up a slice" 
to the Slice of Life (SOL) community.
Thanks to Stacey, Betsy, Beth, Kathleen, Deb, Lisa, Melanie, and Lanny
for hosting this meeting place each day in March
and for nurturing our writing lives.


Books, Brownies, & Beyond, our after school book club meets every Tuesday afternoon.  We have students from 6th, 7th, and 8th grades in our book club.  We have a mixture of boys and girls.  We started the year with 20+ students.  Seven months in, we still have 12-15 readers who enjoy sharing book love every week.  
  • First the good - We've been participating in the middle grade novel tournament for March Book Madness.  Tuesday was the final day to cast votes in the middle grade championship bracket.  By the time you read this post, we'll know this year's winner.  These pictures show the choices made by our book club members in the championship round.
March Book Madness Winner - A Night Divided!
(Oh, how we are hoping that the result 
from the national MBM is the same.)
9 votes for A Night Divided!
Update:  Books Brownies and Beyond 
nailed this year's tournament,
A Night Divided won!
4 votes for Pax!

  • Now the bad - Some of our favorite titles lost out in the middle grade brackets!  
  • Which we managed to turn around to the good - We decided to follow the path of our winners in addition to the national MBM winners.  These pictures show the results of Books, Brownies and Beyond's championship round. 
Our winner - The War that Saved my Life!
8 votes for The War that Saved my Life
 5 votes for Echo.

  • The delicious - Anna made homemade M&M cookies for this week's treat.
  • The bad - We didn't take a picture.
  • The good - Everyone enjoyed Anna's cookies and some people even got seconds!

7 comments:

  1. Well, you're an early slicer this morning! You must of kept your promise! Every time I read about your Books, Brownies, and Beyond I get so excited. It's on my long list of goals to establish something similar at my school. I love the book choices for your readers. They are all winners in my eyes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The War That Saved My Life is one of my favorite books. Did you know there's a sequel coming out in the fall? Can't wait! Love the literacy that continues on through you! Enjoy your day in sixth grade.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your book group's title as well. I'm working on a summer reading book club at my local library and calling it Chat, Chips and Chapters.....

    ReplyDelete
  4. Both books are fabulous. Your BB&B group has very good taste in books, sweets too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love M & M cookies! I need to figure out how to get into one of these book clubs. My students are too young for one, but maybe I can start a book club with the older kids.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think next year our after school blogging club should officially become Blogs, Books and Brownies... I am always inspired when I read about your BBB!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Well chosen, book group! Although, every single one of those books is truly a winner.

    ReplyDelete