Tuesday, August 14, 2018

Slice of Life: Book Finished Early!

I join my fellow bloggers in "serving up a slice"
to the Tuesday Slice of Life (SOL) community.
Thanks to Stacey, Betsy, BethKathleen,
Deb, Melanie, Lanny, and Kelsey
 for hosting this meeting place each Tuesday
and nurturing our writing lives.

I'm in two book clubs and most months I'm dividing up the pages I have left to read by the number of days until the book club meets. Assigned reading! And I left high school more than a few decades ago. But this month I had motivation to finish the book early.

Our book for September is The Great Alone by Kristin Hannah. I picked it up from the library on Thursday, did the math, and figured out that I needed to read about sixty pages a day in order to finish it by Thursday when Kristin Hannah is speaking at Third Place Books. But along the way something wonderful happened. I became so engrossed in the story that I read beyond my assigned reading pages. And Monday morning, I woke up at 4 and read until I finished the book. (I rarely read past 11 or 12, but waking up early to read is a guilty pleasure that I love to indulge.) I wonder why I don't do this more often. After all, I am semi-retired (there are those three days a week that I do the grandma gig). 

I'm headed to the author reading with several friends from our book club and a friend who lived and taught in Alaska for thirty years. I'm sure we'll have fun quizzing her on the way to the reading. 

Has there been a book that captivated you recently, something that you could not put down, that kept you up reading past your bedtime or pulled you out of bed long before you usually get up? Tell me about it in the comments.


6 comments:

  1. The name-dropping of Kristin Hannah was enough to hook me into reading your post! I have read so many of her books in the past, Night Road being my favorite one. As a 4th grade T, my recent reads have been mostly MG and YA, some professional texts, and the #BookLove titles. In anticipation of Netflix's release of Jenny Han's To All the Boys I've Loved Before this Friday, I read the first 2 books in the trilogy and am more than half-way through the third. It's hopeful, fun, and a bit nostalgic. I was hoping my teenage girls would read the first book too so we could all watch the movie together. No luck yet! Happy book club meeting!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just added a new hold to my library! Recently I read Radium Girls. It is a sad part of our history... I think I was even depressed during some of the reading, but I couldn’t stop. In the end it was worth it to learn their brave stories and to understand the contributions they made to medical research and laws that protect workers.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the great suggestion, Ramona!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for reminding me that I have that book on my "To be read" shelf!! I loved The Nightingale, too.

    Recently, the characters in these books grabbed me:
    I'll Give You the Sun by Jandy Nelson
    We Were the Lucky Ones by Georgia Hunter
    The Thing About Jellyfish by Ali Benjamin
    Every Note Played by Lisa Genova

    ReplyDelete
  5. I still have so many books in my summer pile left to read and fear that once school begins my reading life becomes low on teh totem pole. Getting up earlier may be the way to go! Thanks for the suggestion!

    ReplyDelete
  6. It is so exciting when a book captivates to keep you up late or in your case wake you up super early. I am happy for you!

    ReplyDelete