Wednesday, July 19, 2017

Slice of Life: An Ordinary Bookstore Stop Turns Extraordinary!

Today I join my fellow bloggers in "serving up a slice" 
to the Tuesday Slice of Life (SOL) community.
Thanks to Stacey, Betsy, Beth, Kathleen, Deb, Lisa, Melanie, and Lanny
 for hosting this meeting place each Tuesday and nurturing our writing lives.

There was nothing special about this stop at my favorite indie bookstore, Island Books.  I was picking up a new picture book favorite. My husband reads the library copy to grandson Jack all the time. (Jack's mom has already told me that she wants her own copy).  I wanted to purchase a copy for Teddy, our other grandson so we could share it with him when we saw him and his parents on our quick vacation to Park City.  I know you're curious.  This new favorite book that will be in both grandson's libraries is Together by  Emma Dodd.  If you haven't seen it yet, stop now and request it from the library or check with your favorite indie bookstore to see if they have it in stock.

Like I said, there was nothing special about this stop at Island Books UNTIL . . .  Lillian reached under the counter and handed me an advance reader copy!   And not just any ARC,  but the ARC of a book that I'm eagerly anticipating that doesn't come out until this fall.  I fairly danced out of the store with Kimberly Brubaker Bradley's The War I Finally Won tucked under my arm.  I read it on our short vacation. Tomorrow I'll drop it off to my daughter, Sara.  She's a fast reader and will be able to finish it in time for me to return it to Lillian so it can continue to make the rounds of other lucky readers.  Thank you, Lillan, and thank you, Island Books!  I love this sequel as much as the first book.  And thanks to Emily Brubaker Bradley for this continuing story of Ada's life.   

2 comments:

  1. You lucky duck!!! I just read the first book in the series this summer and now can't wait to read the sequel! Independent bookstores (and bookstore owners) are the best! It sounds like I need to get a copy of TOGETHER for my sweet Esveidy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ramona, I just looked up the first book and the one you mention. They book seem to be so interesting. Thanks for sharing these great finds.

    ReplyDelete