Tuesday, March 13, 2018

SOL 13/31: Goodbye winter, Hello spring!

Today I join my fellow bloggers in "serving up a slice" 
Thanks to Stacey, Betsy, Beth, Kathleen, Deb, Melanie, and Lanny
 for hosting this meeting place each day in March
and for nurturing our writing lives.


Daylight savings time means that I unplug the white lights on the deck, my own formal goodbye to winter. For a few years, I unplugged them on Valentine's Day, and then the end of February, and then I pushed it until spring one year. But really, the springing forward of the clock is the perfect time. And yes, I wrote about this yearly tradition during my first year of slicing here and here

Goodbye snowmen on the mantle
and white lights on the deck 
and hot chocolate (well, maybe not yet)
and wintry weather. 

Hello bunnies on the mantle
and daffodils on the lane
and budding trees
and springtime rain.

7 comments:

  1. Lovely poem and thoughts about lights. Jackpot snow today so even though I emptied the pine cones from the basket on the table, I can’t bring myself to get out the bunnies.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bring on the daffodils and bunnies! Although the budding trees are beginning to play havoc with my husband's allergies already. Love the flowers, but not the pollen.

    ReplyDelete
  3. "And hot chocolate (well, maybe not yet)" made me smile. Love your tradition - we woke up to snow here today, so I'm itching to hear about spring from places where it's already coming!

    ReplyDelete
  4. "...and hot chocolate (well, maybe not yet)" - I agree, even though I am ready to greet the buds on the trees. Nowhere in sight, yet. I enjoyed reading your poem.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I took down the little white lights on the porch on Valentine's Day this year, but I noticed my neighbors waiting until Daylight Saving Day, just like you! I think I will follow that pattern next year as the lights do provide some happiness in the dark days of February and March!

    ReplyDelete
  6. We have crocuses in Denver! I'm really excited that spring is just around the corner! Even though we really could use several more feet of snow. It's going to be a long dry summer without it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I wish I was feeling spring here, but yesterday's snow makes it still feel very much like winter. I actually love winter with its constant white, but even I am ready for a bit of color and warmer days. Here's hoping that bunnies, daffodils, and spring rain are coming soon.

    ReplyDelete