Saturday, March 15, 2014

SOLSC #15: Surrendering to Joy!

                          
 
I "serve up a slice" at Two Writing Teachers
and celebrate with Ruth Ayres at
Celebrate this week!
Discover. Play. Build.


Weather - Consecutive days of sunshine and spring-like weather
  
1/2 Day on Friday! - A head start on end of trimester grading with the gift of a half day without students

A white flag slice -  Sometimes I just give in.  It was near the end of second period.  Someone was whistling.  I admire whistlers, mostly because it's a skill that I've never acquired.  So I give my students permission to whistle on the count of three.  Our room sounds like an aviary.  I grab my phone, wander around to each table group, and record their cheerful tweets.  I'm not sure how I would have explained our activity to an administrator, but it was a joyful interlude.  


Technology - Our cherry tree on Friday 
Photo snapped from inside our classroom!
Joe edited photo to eliminate light reflections.

15 comments:

  1. I'm smiling imagining your classroom whistling exercise. I'm pretty sure that writing requires "play" and other whimsical activities and surely whistling falls in that category. You were just following core curriculum!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love that you surrendered to whistling. How fun. And the tree is gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Whistling perks up the brain for exploration and discovery. Beautiful image. We are still snow covered. Jealousy is oozes onto the page.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the whistling story. Sometimes it is just what has to happen in a classroom. Glad you didn't have to explain it and could just enjoy it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh my, the whistling sounds like fun, Ramona-good for you! And that cherry tree! You are ahead of us-no tree blooms yet, but I'm sure that they are getting ready! A little snow today, then warm again!

    ReplyDelete
  6. An aviary in your classroom! Now that's a joyful image!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love your playfulness in class and in this piece!
    http://parentingandpedagogy.blogspot.com/?m=1

    ReplyDelete
  8. Whistling and cherry trees = smile.

    ReplyDelete
  9. What Terje said. And, share those tweets, sometime, Ramona!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Small bits make life happy, and these were reasons to celebrate. Wish our trees were blooming.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Cherry tree blossoms--that alone is worth whistling!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I am so envious of your cherry tree and green grass. I am still looking at dead, brown grass. I just keep telling myself that I know it is coming!

    ReplyDelete
  13. How fun that you had a whole class full of whistling. That makes me happy. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  14. What fun to have a room full of whistling students! Can't wait to get a taste of your spring weather!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Now, this was a double pleasure: thinking about the tweeting go on at each table and looking at the cherry blossoms in bloom. I am thrilled that my dwarf tree is blooming but not at home to send a photo. I'm GrandmaSitting for the baby who has pink eye.

    ReplyDelete