Tuesday, February 13, 2018

Slice of Life: ALA Youth Media Awards by the Numbers

Today I join my fellow bloggers in "serving up a slice" 
to the Tuesday Slice of Life (SOL) community.
Thanks to Stacey, Betsy, Beth, Kathleen, Deb, Melanie, and Lanny
 for hosting this meeting place each Tuesday and nurturing our writing lives.

1
# of appointments rescheduled so I could listen to the live webcast 
of the ALA Youth Media Awards

1
# of award winning books that I own


2
# of award winning books currently checked out from the library
(prior to the award announcements)
I love Big Cat, Little Cat!
Hello, Universe, this year's Newbery winner, 
 just moved to the top of my WTR(want to read) pile.

2
# of books I picked up today after requesting them yesterday
I keep the library site open while I listen to the webcast 
so I can put books on hold as they are announced.

3
#of titles not ready yet (too many holds on them already)

4
# of award winning titles I've already read
Out of Wonder
Big Cat, Little Cat
A Different Pond
When a Wolf is Hungry

# of titles I've heard about and wanted to read
(prior to the award announcements)
The 57 Bus
Eyes of the World
Epic Fail of Arturo Zamora
The First Rule of Punk
La Princesa and the Pea

# of award winning titles I've previously 
checked out, caressed, and hoped to read
(but returned to the library unread)
Vincent and Theo
The Hate U Give
Grand Canyon
Lucky Broken Girl
Piecing Me Together
Hello, Universe

9
# of award winning books in transit
I'm not as greedy as it seems, our book club meets on the 27th of this month and I plan to share as many of the award winning books as possible with our middle schoolers. And no, I won't get all of them read before they have to be returned.

10
# of books I read in 2017 that I wish had received some award love
(While they didn't receive ALA YMA award love, I did discover some award love for some of my titles after I posted. Updates are in red.)
Train I Am
Beyond the Bright Sea
Refugee
(Just saw that Refugee made the
2018 Notable Books for a Global Society list.)
The War I Finally Won
Forever, or a Long, Long Time
Midnight Without a Moon
Wishtree
(Wishtree did receive some love -
Just saw Grace Enriquez's post at SLJ.
It's a Charlotte Huck Recommended Book & was included
as a 2018 Notable Book for a Global Society.)
Orphan Island
Georgia Rules
Can I Touch Your Hair? 
(Linda Baie pointed out that this book is a 2018 publication.)
So I'm adding one more book to keep my list to ten titles.
Dreamland Burning

2 comments:

  1. Ramona, Out of Wonder is such a great book. Thanks for sharing so many others. Have a great Valentine's Day with your family. I am enjoying my Valentine's weekend with Sierra.

    ReplyDelete
  2. There are like 18 holds on Hello Universe at my library, you lucky person! It was a surprise, certainly. I was disappointed there was no love for some that I loved. FYI - Can I Touch Your Hair? - next year! I love Big Cat, Little Cat, A Different Pond and Wolf In The Snow. Love your post!

    ReplyDelete