Friday, October 17, 2014

Students succumb to poetry's spell!

Head over to Michelle's Today's Little Ditty
for this week's Poetry Roundup.
My five word ditty:

Poetry's
tentacles swirl,
students succumb!

Ms. Moore's sixth grade students immerse themselves in poetry and rise to the challenge to read 100 poems in one week.

I succumb to poetry's spell by choosing clothing to complement Water Sings Blue by Betsy Coombs.  I pick up the book this week (Betsy is one of the poets who wrote for the Poetrybox) and immediately know the jacket I will wear for this week's poetry lesson.

Students amaze me with their deep thinking as we read and discuss Ted Kooser's poem "Hands in the Wind."  I recorded this phrase at the poetry reading "... all the people I've loved were suddenly swirling about me..."  I reread Kooser's book, Weather Central, before returning it to the library and discovered the poem.   I can't find it online, but it's worth requesting the book just to read this poem.

We explore Autumn's Way and What's a Poem? by Charles Ghigna, another featured poet in the Poetrybox.  "What's a Poem?' captures perfectly the magical spell cast by poetry.

Stay tuned next week for more of our adventures with the Poetrybox.  For more detail about this project, check out Julie Johnson's post from last January.  Julie's post led me to Kevin Cordi and my participation in the project.

2 comments:

  1. Good to hear you're sharing such wonderful poems with your students, and even more so, that they're lapping it up!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like loads of fun in your classroom with this project!

    ReplyDelete