Sunday, December 7, 2014

Celebrate this Week!

Join us each weekend for Celebrate this week with Ruth Ayres.  
 When we pause to celebrate, we find the joy.
Discover. Play. Build.
                                      A week filled with moments to celebrate and remember!

1.  My top book picks for the 2014 Christmas card -
Firefly July, Dash, and Absolutely Almost.  I couldn't come up with an adult title, but we received a card from a friend who recommended The Storied Life of A.J. Fikry.  It was an adult read I enjoyed, but had forgotten (resolution for 2015 - keep better track of the books I read).  I also liked A Tale for the Time Being.  I do occasionally read adult books, but my heart is firmly planted in middle grade fiction.  I wanted to include Fish in a Tree, but since it won't be published until 2015, I'll have to save it for next year's list.  

2.  A read aloud of Manger -
We were on our way to the outlet mall, and Jan was driving.  I tucked Manger into my bag so I could share it with her.  Nothing beats a captive audience.  Check out Irene Latham's Poetry Friday post with her original poem inspired by the book.

3.  This announcement -
Calling all book lovers!  Join former IMS teacher, Mrs. Behnke, for a new after school club beginning next week on Tuesday, Dec. 9.  Participants will read books that are possibilities for the 2015 Newbery award.  Join us during December and January to discuss books, enjoy cookie bars, and share book love.  Location to be announced.  

  • 4.  Seeing my students in Ms. Mann's 7th grade classroom -  
    I stopped by to give her a copy of The Poetry Friday Anthology for Middle School.  I was surprised by the number of my former students in her class (I counted 13)!  I whispered, "Does she give you time to read at the beginning of class?"  I was thrilled beyond words with my former student's affirmative reply, "Yes!" Thank you, Ms. Mann, for continuing to nurture the reading lives of my students.  You see, once you've been a student in my classroom, I will always claim you!  

    5.  Mr. B  connected the white lights -
    After several days of asking when I would turn on the deck lights, he took care of it himself! 

No comments:

Post a Comment