Join us each weekend for Celebrate this week with Ruth Ayres.
When we pause to celebrate, we find the joy.
A week filled with moments to celebrate and remember!
1. Finding the Lost Ornament(s) - I worry that organized folks have so many less moments of celebration in their lives. This week I put a cute gift tag from a friend on the bulletin board AND found the ornament my brother had given me when I visited him in November. I also found two other favorite ornaments that I hung on the board last year because they deserve year round attention!
2. A phone call from Denise - We chatted for almost half an hour before my flight to Utah. I'm glad that we stay connected via Facebook, Instagram, and email, but nothing beats hearing a dear friend's voice on the phone. Well, visiting in person beats that, but when you move across the country from family and friends those in-person visits are rare treasures.
3. The Siddoway Christmas Party - This is our first Christmas without any kids home, so Blake and Stefi invited me to join them in Utah for a few days. The extended family Christmas party started at 5:30 and lasted until 10:30. The Siddoways party hearty! We gathered at one house for delicious food, a birthday celebration, great visiting, and concluded with a musical concert. Then the party moved to Stefi's Grandma's house for general bedlam that included unwrapping a gift while wearing goggles and mittens, more sharing of musical talents, and the right/left candy bar game. We sang carols together and concluded with "Silent Night" and "Still, Still, Still." Perfect way to end the evening - right? Actually this was followed by spirited dancing to "Calypso Christmas," a unique Christmas song recorded by Stefi's Uncle Mark - here's the song on iTunes!
4. Gift wrap from a stranger - I stepped off the elevator as another woman struggled to balance multiple packages and her luggage. I stepped back on to hold the door open for her. When I commented that I needed to purchase some gift wrap, she gave me her roll with the words, "I no longer need this. I'm headed home to California today. You can have it." What a spontaneous gift of sharing! And tonight I used her gift to wrap my gifts.
5. Time with Blake - We went to Red Iguana with Stefi, Amy, and Barb my first night here. We spent Saturday shopping at King's English (an independent bookstore), Target (found a cover for my phone), and TJ Maxx. Blake introduced me to In-N-Out, one of his favorite burger places. I love spending time with my favorite (and only) son!