Wednesday, March 2, 2016

2016 SOLC 2/31: March Book Madness

 
Today I join my fellow bloggers in "serving up a slice" 
to the Tuesday Slice of Life (SOL) community.
Thanks to Stacey, Tara, Betsy, Dana, Beth, and Anna
for hosting this meeting place each Tuesday
and for nurturing our writing lives.


If it's Tuesday afternoon, then it's time for Books, Brownies, & Beyond, our after school book club.  If it's March, then you'll find us participating in March Book Madness.  The first order of the hour is checking out books.  Students make a mad dash for the library to check in finished books and to check out a new title from the March Book Madness middle grade book list.  Then it's time to quickly discuss each title before participating in the seeding vote, choosing three favorite titles in each side of the bracket, Fantasy and Reality.  This vote will give each book title a rank in its side of the bracket.  The seeding vote is open until 3 pm EST on Friday, March 4.  

Two interesting points emerge from our quick discussion of the titles. Our book club thinks that The Strange Case of Origami Yoda by Tom Angelberger is not good enough to be on this list, and the least read title is Jennifer Nielsen's A Night Divided.    It's clear that our book lovers are an opinionated group.  Then it's time to cast our votes for the top three titles in each side of the bracket.  Things quiet down as we spend some time reading.  During this time treats are distributed by two book club members who brought this week's refreshments.  Then we choose a favorite title from this year's list and pose for this picture.   
Next week, we'll create a bulletin board for March Book Madness and then discuss Rump by Liesl Shurtliff and 
The Honest Truth  by Dan Gemeinhart. 

Check out the Tips for Joining March Book Madness page.  There's still time for you and your students to participate in one of three categories:  Picture Book, Middle Grade, and Young Adult.  It's guaranteed to generate lots of conversation about books!

15 comments:

  1. My vote is for Night Divided! Such a book. So much fun to be around these passionate little readers. They are the best! Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am in such awe that you are able to continue with this book club for kids. I can't wait to see what will win in each category.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would like to be in this club please and thank you. Partly because I would like to sing the praises of a Night Divided and partly because this. This is what gets kids passionate about reading. Thank you for being the kind of person that generates passion for books!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's wonderful that you devote time to continue your love of reading and promoting it with children, Ramona.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a great idea! This is a wonderful way to promote a love for reading! Good for you!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You are amazing, Ramona! I love that you continue to foster a passion for reading even after you have left the classroom. I bet the kids just love it -- and not just for the brownies. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your March is wonderful - passionate readers and writers all around, and you are part of both magics.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Our middle school is doing a bracket this year for the first time. My son, a 7th grader, is so excited to participate. He's eager to read some more of the titles too. Have fun!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks for this post Ramona. I don't think we can participate from Australia, however, maybe I can try to do a school wide thing similar to this. Thanks for the inspiration. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. What fun, Ramona - and you can see this in your students' faces. Night Divided is a wonderful book - but I see many favorites there in the hands of your kids.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Ramona - sounds like great fun! I look over the March Madness and realize I don't know Night Divided. I will have to see if I can find a copy!
    Have fun reading and discussing with these readers.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I like both books that they rated, but A Night Divided is so different from the other one, hard to decide. I did love it a lot. It's so great that you do this Ramona.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love the fact that you are still doing book clubs with kids. And March Madness is a great activity to get them reading. I loved Rump, The Honest Truth, and A Night Divided! Great choices.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love this, Books, Brownies, & Beyond! Who would ever know you are retired? I love the way you still play an import role in the lives of our young ones. Thanks for sharing. My next stop is on to March Book Madness.

    ReplyDelete
  15. What a wonderful book club! Your passion speaks volumes and I'm thrilled your influence touches so many lives.

    ReplyDelete