Sunday, March 13, 2016

SOLC 2016 13/31: Racing the Wind

Today I join my fellow bloggers in "serving up a slice" 
to the Slice of Life (SOL) community.
Thanks to Stacey, Tara, Betsy, Dana, Beth, and Anna
for hosting this meeting place each day in March
and for nurturing our writing lives.


I seem to be following a weekend theme of racing.  I dash home from church and grab a quick lunch.  My daughter calls.   They are home from their weekend trip to Mount Ranier.  I decide to head over to their house for a quick visit and some leftover pecan pie.  I grab the cookie sheet they left here last weekend, the library books I want to share, and the ice cream from Will's birthday celebration.  But before I can get to the garage, the lights flicker, flash, and finally go off.  Within moments our generator kicks in.  It looks like our windstorm has arrived!  

I decide to go to daughter's house anyway, but when I open the garage door, there's the loud whoosh of wind which is often followed by the crackling of tree branches.  I think better of my decision (even though I really want to see her tulip tree in bloom and have some of that pecan pie).  I call her to report that I'm a chicken and have decided that I'm not coming over after all.  I console myself with thoughts of time to read Pax and maybe indulge in an afternoon nap.  

And that's when my husband reports that the internet is down.  Oh no, I haven't written my post for today.  A short while later, the internet is up again, but who knows for how long?  And that's why I'm racing the wind!  Hoping that I can hit post before we lose the internet again.  I leave a few comments and start working on this post.  Oh no, power's gone again and so is the internet.  Fingers crossed for another short outage!  Whew, power's back on (20 minutes later).  I'm hitting post before our internet is blown out again.  And so goes a windy afternoon in the Northwest!

6 comments:

  1. I felt like I was racing with you as I read the on/off of the power. I didn't realize that you had issues with high winds in your part of the world. Glad your got posted, hope the blossoms stayed on the tree for you, and you can get some pecan pie.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your theme had us racing along with you. This made me remember a time when I visited a friend in California and the "Santa Ana" winds were blowing.

    P.S. This is really true (even though unbelievable)- when I was posting this comment, I lost my internet connection for a few minutes!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Whew! Glad you made it! Funny how the most important and worrisome thing about losing power was posting on TWT! It is so important to so many of us and we just can't bear to miss a day. Hope your daughter saved you some pecan pie!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, I raced through reading, too, Ramona. Hope it's all good now, & calm. Sorry about the visit & the pie.

    ReplyDelete
  5. And there you were, all ready to go! Hope the storm has quieted down by now, Ramona.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, the frustrations of intermittent internet! Congratulations on winning the race and posting in time!

    ReplyDelete