I miss my kitchen from our home of 25 years. It was remodeled in 2015, the year after I retired. I really wanted ten more years in that kitchen, but I only got seven.
I frequently grouse about my much smaller kitchen at our new place. This morning I looked around my "new" kitchen space and noted ten things that make me feel at home:
1. My favorite mug repurposed as a pencil/pen holder with these words: I need chocolate! Now!
2. The small bluebird of happiness that my sister gave me when she helped me move into my previous home
3. A blue and yellow ceramic plate from Seville
4. A sunflower recipe holder
5. A blue and yellow spoon rest from Capri
6. A utensil crock with this saying: "Kitchens bring families together."
7. A wooden wall hanging of a small girl in an apron rolling out dough with these words: "Live well * Laugh often * Love deeply"
8. My mother's rolling pin - I found it when we moved stashed away in a cupboard. Now it sits on my counter beside my mixer.
9. A refrigerator with a magnetic surface so I can post pics of our grand kids
10. A rental house with a yellow kitchen. How could I be so lucky to have a kitchen in my favorite color?
This is my twelfth year to write a slice of life each day during the month of March. Thank
you Two Writing Teachers for creating this challenge and providing the
space and support for us year after year. And thanks to this magnificent
community for sharing stories with me and encouraging my writing life.
Your mom’s rolling pin. I love that- I have some things from my mother’s kitchen, too. And the pictures on the fridge… I have some on mine, but my two sisters- in-law are masters at that. Whenever I visit their homes I spend time looking at the fridge pictures.ReplyDelete
It seems that the best way to make a "new" kitchen homey is to fill it from things from your old kitchen. I hope you get used to it soon.ReplyDelete
Your blue and yellow theme sounds warm and inviting. I have a bluebird of happiness pin around here somewhere ... I need to find that and put it on display. So happy to share these slicing months with you!ReplyDelete